Heating and light

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluesky

Reaction score
Hi. Total beginner here and new to the forum, so sorry about all the questions, but just want to get everything right before I get a mantis so here goes.
Live in UK
Looking at getting a ghost mantis or a Giant Asian
Have an acrylic 30 x20x20. And a 15 x10x10 enclosure
Trying in large one bio active, substrate and cork log with real plants
Have a small grow light for above

Now my biggest problem - HEATING
Our house is a cold one in the winter, temperature has dropped as low as 9 degrees c at night
I know this is too cold for a mantis and on these days only reaches 12 during the day !
So need to know if I should give up now thinking of keeping one or is there a way to heat the enclosure?
Have looked at heat mats and heat lamps. Saw a double hanging nano fixture for heat and light for above, but would it be enough? And would it be safe for the acrylic ? We don’t have heat tape here in UK

This is it so far, have been told to take it out of cupboard as would not be enough ventilation for mantis, so will remove

Really hope someone can help as I love these little creatures, and have wanted one for a long time.
Thank you everyone 😎

Attachments

• IMG_6727.jpeg
    IMG_6727.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6725.jpeg
    IMG_6725.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6728.jpeg
    IMG_6728.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nice enclosures! With only 2 enclosures in that size cabinet I think it would provide adequate ventilation. You could warm that small compartment with a 10w adjustable heat mat. I wouldn't suggest placing an heat mat against the acrylic. Some acrylics can't take the heat and may warp. I've used a 5w heat mat on acrylic with no issues... but not all acrylic (especially thin acrylic) can handle even a 5w mat. I assume you wouldn't want to put a vent in the back of such a lovely cabinet? 😀 There are small round vents available that could be placed discretely in the back. If you're like many of us you probably open the enclosures enough to let in some fresh air. Just keep an eye on humidity. In my experience both species you mention seem to do fine at 40-60% humidity and 20-27°. I can't tell if you have an upper molting surface for them to hang judging by the pics. I cut squares of plastic window screen mesh and use small strong button magnets to hold them in place... one magnet on each corner on the inside and then an magnet on the outside of each corner and one in the middle for good measure. The strong magnets hold very well.

In my front room I've kept a couple of Giant Asians and Cat-eyes during the winter and that room hovers around 20°. Those enclosures have no supplemental heating.
The down side is the humidity can also drop in that room, so I have to keep a close eye on humidity levels. Also, be careful about over feeding in such low temps because it does slow down their metabolism. I do keep many other specimens of varying species in my bug room which has supplemental heating.

Hope this helps... someone smarter may chime in with more suggestions and opinions, but this works for me.

Nice enclosures! With only 2 enclosures in that size cabinet I think it would provide adequate ventilation. You could warm that small compartment with a 10w adjustable heat mat. I wouldn't suggest placing an heat mat against the acrylic. Some acrylics can't take the heat and may warp. I've used a 5w heat mat on acrylic with no issues... but not all acrylic (especially thin acrylic) can handle even a 5w mat. I assume you wouldn't want to put a vent in the back of such a lovely cabinet? 😀 There are small round vents available that could be placed discretely in the back. If you're like many of us you probably open the enclosures enough to let in some fresh air. Just keep an eye on humidity. In my experience both species you mention seem to do fine at 40-60% humidity and 20-27°. I can't tell if you have an upper molting surface for them to hang judging by the pics. I cut squares of plastic window screen mesh and use small strong button magnets to hold them in place... one magnet on each corner on the inside and then an magnet on the outside of each corner and one in the middle for good measure. The strong magnets hold very well.

In my front room I've kept a couple of Giant Asians and Cat-eyes during the winter and that room hovers around 20°. Those enclosures have no supplemental heating.
The down side is the humidity can also drop in that room, so I have to keep a close eye on humidity levels. Also, be careful about over feeding in such low temps because it does slow down their metabolism. I do keep many other specimens of varying species in my bug room which has supplemental heating.

Hope this helps... someone smarter may chime in with more suggestions and opinions, but this works for me.
Thank you that helps, and it’s not a problem cutting a hole in the back, will need to for the electric cable in any case. The top has a plastic mesh which lifts off held on by strong magnets, the whole enclosure has holes back and sides. I have added a photo to show the lid. Plenty of ventilation I hope. So I might just do as you say and get a heat mat in the unit, I’ll try it for a couple of weeks before I get the mantis.

Attachments

• IMG_1711.jpeg
    IMG_1711.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 0
Thank you that helps, and it’s not a problem cutting a hole in the back, will need to for the electric cable in any case. The top has a plastic mesh which lifts off held on by strong magnets, the whole enclosure has holes back and sides. I have added a photo to show the lid. Plenty of ventilation I hope. So I might just do as you say and get a heat mat in the unit, I’ll try it for a couple of weeks before I get the mantis.
I use this type. Cheap and easy to install. You can also find other colors that might match the interior color better. BTW... I want that cabinet!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240305-170155-366.png
    Screenshot_20240305-170155-366.png
    963.1 KB · Views: 0
Update on enclosure. Isopods and springtails in plants arrived and planted, heat mat with thermostat has arrived, but waiting for glass protector arriving Monday before that goes in. Then I shall let it tick along for a few weeks get it stable and then order the most important part 😍

Attachments

• IMG_6735.jpeg
    IMG_6735.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts