Hello from California

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelBrat

Reaction score
Hello fellow Mantis lovers! I am from the southern central valley of california (Kern). This year has been the year of the mantis! I have found at the least 15 mantises on my porch this year. I have never seen so many in my life! They usually would hang out on the door for several days and then one morning they'd be gone or I'd put them in the big bush in my yard. One particular female, though, was hanging out on my porch and she is huuuge. I will upload some pictures soon, I need to transfer them from my phone. She has two different colored eyes and a missing antennae, I am guessing from some kind of battle her eye was damaged and antennae broken. She kept falling from the side of the house and I was worried she wouldn't survive, so i made her an enclosure with the only thing I had that was big enough and breathable, a mesh type of cat carrier. She stayed in there for three days and she was eating houseflies I put in there and little bits of wet cat food, which she loves. I was also giving her "water sticks" that I read can be used to give them water, q-tips with purified water on them. One day after being held captive for 3 days and nights and eating like a little piggy, suddenly she had regained her strength and she managed to escape the enclosure. lol! When I came to check on her, she was not inside anymore, but sitting on my counter next to it staring at me. =P So I decided she had made her choice and I put her in the big bush in my yard. Now she has been in that bush for a week and yesterday she laid an egg case. :D  This morning I wasn't sure what to expect as I have read they die shortly after laying, but she is chipper and hungry! I gave her more cat food and a water stick, but she seemed to be eating the cotton this time and now I am worried. I can't get it away from her! She is sooo strong and stubborn, if I pulled hard she'd come right off the leaf where she is perched! I really hope the q-tip thing wasn't terrible advice. I read it on a pet mantis site/forum. At this point it is obvious to me that the little bits of wet cat food are not harmful because she is absolutely thriving and she loves it, but I am concerned about the cotton now. Should I be? Pics to come soon!

Thanks for allowing me to join this community. I love these beautiful creatures and I am absolutely fascinated by them! :)  

Welcome! That's awesome that you have so many mantis living right there next to you.

Glad to hear that you helped a female get back her strength! Sounds like you'll have some more little mantis in your yard next spring. Females do not die after laying at all. They lay several, sometimes 10+ Ootheca(egg sacs) in their life. Most mantis die from the cold of winter. If you bring a wild mantis inside they will live considerably longer(females only) than if they were in the wild.

I have no idea on the cotton though, doesn't seem like too big of a deal. 

I'm  looking forward to seeing the pics!

Thank you so much for the reply, Connor. :)  It is starting to get cold at night here. In the early morning she does seem rather stiff until it starts to warm up. Is that normal? I wish I could bring her in, but she was so weary of me when she was inside the enclosure and she obviously wanted to be free. That would be awesome if she laid a bunch more ootheca in the bush! I am so excited to hopefully see some babies hatch in spring! Here are some pics; the first one is the first day I saw her. Her abdomen was HUGE and I knew she must be about to lay her eggs. The second set of pics is her this morning and her ootheca, hopefully you can see them both. I will try to get more pics more up close soon. :D  

IMG_1220.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

IMG_1237.JPG

IMG_1236.JPG

Welcome to the forum!  She looks great.  It's up to you if you bring her back inside or not, because as Connor mentioned, she will die sooner if left outside as it gets cold.  Either way, have fun!

No problem! I'm not sure about her being stiff in the morning, as I have never kept a mantis outside... But at the moment a lot of the males are dying off, with the females following probably in a month or less. You can warm her up to you by just holding her and feeding her. If she climbs on your hand and doesn't go sprinting away you should be fine. Yep she will lay more ooths depending on how many she's laid already. She certainly blends in quite well in the photos!

Yay!! I'm so proud of her! lol! My friends and fam are so amused by my obsession with this beautiful girl. haha! Isn't that strange that her one eye doesn't work? Have you ever seen that before? 

By the way, she is waaaay too big for me to hold. She does scare me a bit, she could bite HARD! I have felt the strength of her little jaws when she bites on a stick when I feed her! lol! I have used sticks to move her when I have had to. She's definitely boss in this relationship! haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like she injured it... my male carolina had this happen after he got part of his eye eaten by my female in a failed breeding session. 

I have never been bitten by any of my mantis. They only bite food. If they feel threatened they will swing at you with their arms, that's it. I've been scared a few times when I was holding a mantis and they put their head to my skin and started moving their mouth... turns out they were looking for water. Only time I have ever heard of a bite is when someone purposely tries to get bitten... by holding there abdomen and pissing them off and then offering a finger to bite. Truly there is no risk of a bite. Don't be scared to hold her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Rick! :) And Connor, I'd be sooo mad if I saw someone doing that! A friend of mine thought he was being funny when one of the males was on my screen door and he was poking at it from the other side and I yelled at him. Lol, no one torments any living creature in my presence without getting their head bitten off. Lol, see what i did there!? :p 

As far as holding her, I am more afraid of hurting her by panicking and flinging my arms, etc. I can't help it, I am intimidated by her! Lol. Is she a carolina from what you see? She is about 3 inches long or so. 

She's definitely a stagmomantis in my opinion. But which exact species I'm not sure. There are stagmomantis carolina, stagmomantis limbata, and stagmomantis californica I believe. All based on where you live.

So cool to read about other's experiences! I found our (now pet) Carolina Mantis outside several weeks ago and we brought her indoors. She's a hoot! She's pretty docile and I let her free-range on the plants and curtains. She's laid three ooths so far and looks to be ready to do her fourth. I never thought I'd be this fascinated by mantids! They are super cool! I was scared to touch mine, too, but after my SO got her on his hand, I got up the courage and she gets on my hand all the time. She does not bite. When I first started taking her out, I'd use a stick. 

Good luck - they are super fun!

Lol, callisto, that is too cool! What have you been feeding her? I wish I could just have her hanging out in my room but unfortunately there has been bug spray in here and I'd never forgive myself if I caused her harm. She seems super content now in the bush. Do you have any pics of your little friend?! :D  

We fed her stuff we caught outside for as long as we could. Now, just crickets. Going to get some fly pupae soon. 

I do have pics! Lots, in fact! 

05A198E8-B09F-4C69-AC61-3412FFEE2899.jpeg

She's definitely a stagmomantis in my opinion. But which exact species I'm not sure. There are stagmomantis carolina, stagmomantis limbata, and stagmomantis californica I believe. All based on where you live.
First off, welcome to the forum! Second, she seems to be a either a Stagmomantis californica or a Stagmomantis limbata. I would need a close up picture of just the face to be certain.

Latest posts