Hello from Illinois

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantidDan

Reaction score
Hi my name is Daniel, i have just recently gotten into mantids when i bought 4 egg cases for the garden. When the mantids hatched i noticed a whole bunch of them now their numbers are dramatically decreasing by day. I bought some fruit flies from Petco and dump some in my garden every few days. Unfortunately their numbers are still decreasing and now today i only saw 6 . I want at least two or three of them to come out alive as adults but i don't think that is going to happen at the rate they are disappearing. So i decided that im going to take a few inside to care for but the problem is all my containers are too big for them and they can easily squeeze out, what can i put them in. By the way they are Chinese mantids and are at their 1st instar i think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you will have good luck asking for a couple at a local store/deli, i got mine that way

Welcome. I'm from Illinois too. What part are you from? I get my deli cups from the dollar store. But you have to make some alterations to it.

Welcome. I'm from Illinois too. What part are you from? I get my deli cups from the dollar store. But you have to make some alterations to it.
i live about 1 hour away from Chicago in Mchenry County and containers aren't a problem anymore i just want to know why they are disappearing rapidly are they spreading out to other yards or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Dan. I am also from IL originally. Deli cups are not necessarily deli cups, they are also called insect cups and can be bought as such. Get the vented lids to go with them. It is natural and normal for their numbers to decrease. Only probably a few make it to adulthood. They may not be declining as fast as you think, it may be they are dispersing or you just can't see them. Mantids as pest control is a bit blown out of proportion since they also eat beneficial insects.

One other thing why are the numbers of the mantids i see outside decreasing each day are they just spreading out or something?
Well theres other preditors out there like spiders and birds that can eat them. The insect world is a dangerous place with all kinds of danger. Ever watch monster bug wars on animal planet?