Hello from MI

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdkelty

Reaction score
Hello to all,

Where does one start? I have been into arachnids, reptiles, you name it since I was a kid. That is something I probably share with most of the people on here. Lately, my thing has been beetles. But now it is time to expand the experience and satisfy the imagination. By this of course I mean to get into mantids.

I don't have any mantids yet, but I want to get at least one soon. In the mean time I will self educate and be educated by others on all the aspects of keeping them. If anyone has suggestions as too what species would be good to start out with, the info would be appreciated. There are just so many cool ones out there, it is hard to choose!

Thank you,

Michael

Hi, and welcome to the community! If your wanting a large mantis with a "classic" look then Chinese mantids are a fantastic species! They are fun and easy to handle, will eat anything, and best of all you can get one for free just by looking around outside. If you want something more exotic then the Ghost mantis might be for yout. They are on the smaller side but have a very cool alien look to them and are easy to care for. The only real trick with them is many of them will only eat flying insects. They also dont move around much. Best of luck!

i would start with any orthodera species but to get them you may have to work with ooths and hatch them and then work off them!

Thanks for the suggestions. The Ghost and the Budwing both intrigue me. Also, where is a good source for mantids and supplies?

Welcome from Michigan! I use Mantisplace.com for feeders and supplies like deli's, stoppers, lids etc. she also has Mantis, check the classified's for some good deals on Mantis.

Welcome. Check the classifieds. Shop around.

Welcome from a fellow (former) Michigander!

Thanks for becoming a Forum Supporter. As you probably already figured, supporting answers your question about "Which starter mantids". Cuz, baby - it's gonna be Creos!!!

Send me a PM and I'll ship them the next day (you get to pay for shipping).

Check out this link to see their parents life story, and pics of the ooths they came from!

Too Hot For Creos

Good luck, welcome again, and good luck!

Thanks to all for the great suggestions! Well, it looks like the first will be several Creo's. Maybe soon after I'll get either a Ghost or a Shield! Hmmm, I feel a mantid addiction in the works!

I'm gathering everything I need before they arrive. Is it true the Ghost's only eat flying food?

Thank you Malti! I guess this means I have to start growing/ gathering flies. Part of the new adventure....

Latest posts