Hello from Mr. MOM!!! :P

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmsgameboy

Reaction score
Hey everyone the name is Jayson but you can call my kmsgameboy. (or just kms for short) I have lived in NC for almost five years now but was born and raised in the GREAT STATE of Illinois! I have always loved insects and I have to say that mantids have always been one of my faves, however when someone from this forum came to an award thing at my church he brought a mantid and a want to raise my own mantids was sparked!!! I have done TONS of research and have learned so much and even met a few more people that duck in and out of these forums! I was just layed off this past Saturday so I dont have much room for extra spending but I do have plenty of free time now since Im not working and spend my days looking after my daughter so I realy want to start mantid keeping ASAP! I have a few plasic containers (aprox. 4x4x7) which may be a bit to small for mantids but I think I may be able to get something larger sometime soon. I am thinking about starting with a Chinese Mantis or a Carolina Mantis simply because from what I hear they are fairly easy to keep but also because I think I may be able to get an ooth for very cheap or maybe even free! (Unless one of you kind people can cut me a better deal on something else :p ) Anyway I enjoy doing lots of things unique and creative and am a bit of an artist. If you would like to know more about me just say the word and also any kind words, help, or advise would be totaly awesome!!!

I was born in Galesburg and lived there for 13 years and then I spent another 8 years in the tiny little town of Alexis.
That's not too awfully far from Bloomington, where I live. ;) I've lived here 10 years now, but am originally from the Hillsboro/Coffeen area, and have lived in Decatur, Springfield, and Carbondale too. Do you miss the corn and beans, lol? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I was born in Galesburg and lived there for 13 years and then I spent another 8 years in the tiny little town of Alexis.
I have an aunt that lives in Galesburg. I am from the Rushville/Beardstown area. Moved from there when I was 15 though.

That's not too awfully far from Bloomington, where I live. ;) I've lived here 10 years now, but am originally from the Hillsboro/Coffeen area, and have lived in Decatur, Springfield, and Carbondale too. Do you miss the corn and beans, lol? :p
Yeah I believe I have been to all of those towns. I used to go to Bloomington quite a bit with an old friend of mine to explore arount the cave.

I have an aunt that lives in Galesburg. I am from the Rushville/Beardstown area. Moved from there when I was 15 though.
Awesome! I wonder if I know her. Galesburg was pretty big when I moved....but its realy became a Ghost town since then. :(

hello from san diego, hope this forum will help u like it has helped many others!

btw...that's a funny dope kinda worrysome avatar! =)

Awesome! I wonder if I know her. Galesburg was pretty big when I moved....but its realy became a Ghost town since then. :(
Doubtful. Extended family. Only recall visiting when I was very young. I miss the hunting/fishing of Illinois but not much else. Most of my family is still there and I try to visit every couple years. I much prefer the southeast US these days. I moved when I was 15 and am about to turn 31.

Doubtful. Extended family. Only recall visiting when I was very young. I miss the hunting/fishing of Illinois but not much else. Most of my family is still there and I try to visit every couple years. I much prefer the southeast US these days. I moved when I was 15 and am about to turn 31.
Im about in the same boat as you I think. Most of my family is back there and I try to visit as much as I can but its hard when you have a 14 month old child and gas costs so much to drive the nearly 1000 miles! It has been about two years since I have been back there and I probably wont get to go again until May. I think what I miss most about Illinois is the wide open sky though! Living in a tiny little town like I did there wasnt all the light polution that you find here in the south! So, on a clear night in IL you can see just MILLIONS and MILLIONS of stars. I remember one night I went to to my friends house (he lived on a farm) and we all layed out in the lawn to watch a meteor shower. You could see the Milky Way stretch all the way accrossed the sky as tiny fire balls streaked through the summer night sky...then around 3AM I got one of the best suprises of my life! In addition to the magic of all THAT we were also treated to a show of the nothern lights!!! I will never forget that night...

:( I realy miss that kinda stuff...oh yeah and the snow too! :p

Im about in the same boat as you I think. Most of my family is back there and I try to visit as much as I can but its hard when you have a 14 month old child and gas costs so much to drive the nearly 1000 miles! It has been about two years since I have been back there and I probably wont get to go again until May. I think what I miss most about Illinois is the wide open sky though! Living in a tiny little town like I did there wasnt all the light polution that you find here in the south! So, on a clear night in IL you can see just MILLIONS and MILLIONS of stars. I remember one night I went to to my friends house (he lived on a farm) and we all layed out in the lawn to watch a meteor shower. You could see the Milky Way stretch all the way accrossed the sky as tiny fire balls streaked through the summer night sky...then around 3AM I got one of the best suprises of my life! In addition to the magic of all THAT we were also treated to a show of the nothern lights!!! I will never forget that night... :( I realy miss that kinda stuff...oh yeah and the snow too! :p
This is true. I do a bit of astronomy and have a nice 8" reflector telescope. Last time I was home at another aunts house outside Rushville I looked at the sky and it was so clear and I could see everything.

Gee... but nobody said anything about missing the corn and beans! :blink: :lol: :p
That's about all they have around where I grew up. Don't see much down here. A lot of tobacco and cotton though lol

This is true. I do a bit of astronomy and have a nice 8" reflector telescope. Last time I was home at another aunts house outside Rushville I looked at the sky and it was so clear and I could see everything.
Wow...we have quite a bit in common thats pretty cool! I have always loved astronomy!!! I wish I still had my old telescope but the city I live in is realy hilly and has a lot of trees and light polution so it probably wouldnt do me much good anyways. :(

That's about all they have around where I grew up. Don't see much down here. A lot of tobacco and cotton though lol
True true! It was so funny I went down to SC with my wife's family and we saw a corn field there and my mother in-law was all like "thats the funniest looking tobacco I have ever seen!" and I about laughed myself out of my seat!!!

Wow...we have quite a bit in common thats pretty cool! I have always loved astronomy!!! I wish I still had my old telescope but the city I live in is realy hilly and has a lot of trees and light polution so it probably wouldnt do me much good anyways. :(
I haven't had mine out in months though. Thing weighs 50+ lbs. We live in town so until I find a place outside town it is just going to sit. Below is a pic I took through my telescope of Saturn. Keep in mind that neither my scope or camera are designed for astrophotography. I just held the camera up to the eyepiece. The first time I saw saturn through the scope was one of those times in my life where I was breathless at what I was seeing. It was very exciting. It of course looks better in person compared to the pic but it does give you an idea.

saturn0812.jpg

Latest posts