Hello from South Florida!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roblack

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've visited here before, and felt it was time to join. Currently have a small spiny orchid mantis, and kids just released a wild one we caught on the porch. Will post pics soon, hopefully can get an id. Mantids have been my favorite insect since childhood, and am blown away by the diversity that exists. Very happy to be part of a community that appreciates these beautiful and amazing creatures.

Last pic is wild mantis, all the pics of it are about the same and not so great. Any ideas on id?

Attachments

• OrchidMBlaire.jpeg
    OrchidMBlaire.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • OrchidMBlaireCU.jpeg
    OrchidMBlaireCU.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • MantidWild424.jpeg
    MantidWild424.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Thank you! Really appreciate the id suggestion; mantidfly appears to be it. It wasn't very colorful, but didn't get a good look at it. Wish the kids would've let me take pics before releasing.

Hello everyone! I've visited here before, and felt it was time to join. Currently have a small spiny orchid mantis, and kids just released a wild one we caught on the porch. Will post pics soon, hopefully can get an id. Mantids have been my favorite insect since childhood, and am blown away by the diversity that exists. Very happy to be part of a community that appreciates these beautiful and amazing creatures.
Welcome from NE Florida. đź‘‹

Thank you Synapze and Hibiscusmile =)

Correct, it is not an orchid mantis. It is a spiny orchid mantis, I think, lol!
I thought it was Spiny Flower mantis. I had some of those before. They are a cool species and do beautiful threat displays. They dance and move their arms around like they are doing martial arts.

Latest posts