Hello

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantids4fun

Reaction score
Hello, from South Dakota! I first got in the hobby about two years ago. I then ordered a blue flash and raised him from an L2 until he died. Because of circumstances I did not get one. Now I am back into it! I ordered 5 spiny flower mantis's (Is it mantises, mantids, or mantis's?) from Bugsincyberspace. (Really great company, recommend them highly) Right before they arrived I got them five half gallon beta tanks,

IMG_0434.JPGIMG_0435.JPG ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-BettaView-Aquarium-.5-Gallon-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/17248150 )

some silk green and white flowers, ( Chosen for the mantids adult color) and some sphagnum moss. I also had some screen from an old patio door, and a hot glue gun.

First I hot glued the plants in.

IMG_0437.JPG Then I added some Sphagnum moss.

IMG_0438.JPG

Then I hot glued the screen on the air vents at the top.IMG_0440.JPG

These are all of them. IMG_0484.JPGIMG_0485.JPGIMG_0487.JPGIMG_0488.JPGIMG_0489.JPG

Here is some blurry pictures of the mantids themselves.IMG_0476.JPGIMG_0479.JPGIMG_0480.JPGIMG_0483.JPGIMG_0492.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Those tanks look awesome... thanks for sharing!

Question? do you take them out to feed them? Just my opinion... I do not know how big a Betta tank is? It seems so big compared to the mantis...

Welcome..

Hi, and thank you! All 3 of my local pet stores were out of fruit flies, so I am feeding them crushed crickets. So far it's working, until my order of fruit flies comes in.

Cool! Welcome!!

Ive thought about using one of those betta tanks before but didn't go through with it. It looks nice though, nice job!

Hello and welcome to the forum
welcome.gif

Yeah Peter at BugsInCyberspace is a class act, and he owns this forum (root admin). ;) The plural form depends on which word you use mantis or mantid. As it turns out mantis is a specific selection of some mantids, and the word mantid covers all 2400 species. So mantids, or mantises, is the correct form. :D

Nice nymph setup, much better than a bare cup. After some digging I found the size of the tank which is 10" W X 3.5" D X 6.25" H and might be just big enough for your mantids (Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii) as adults. As it's recommended 3 times the total mantid length for the height and twice the mantid length for the width - which is close.

Yeah, I heard they are a bit short of 2 inches as adults, so I was hoping to keep them in there their whole life.

Welcome.

Mantids is correct. It just sounds better.

Welcome!

Spiny flowers are lots of fun as they sometimes do a forearm dance (at least for me) :)

They sometimes wait until I look in on their enclosure to do so.

Perhaps they are just trying to look cool? B)

I hope all goes well with that beta tank and hope you enjoy the hobby!

Latest posts