Hello

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@gare58 it's best not to rest it on any other surface if possible. Kinda "gimbal" it, so as not to touch surfaces. Mould is what you want to avoid, I think.

Plant stem is likely to get soft and decomp. I see that as a complication maybe. Maybe someone with experience should suggest something. I've heard folk use hot glue, even use CA adhesive, to suspend it. Even through diapause. And, especially when you set up shop to hatch nymphs. 

When you do set up, make sure that up side is facing up. They hatch one way is what I understand.

Take this with a grain of salt as I've never done this before. 🤣

Oops, I've had them laying down, but I've been very gentle.  I'll try adhering them to some chopsticks tonight.  I'll need to do something like that anyway when I decide to incubate them.

@MantisGirl13 Whoa no way!  We're practically neighbors.

I grew up in Thorndale/Downingtown, my family still lives in Thorndale.  I live in Ambler.

@MantisGirl13 Whoa no way!  We're practically neighbors.

I grew up in Thorndale/Downingtown, my family still lives in Thorndale.  I live in Ambler.
That's awesome! I have never heard of Ambler before, but we are pretty close to Thorndale!

- MantisGirl13

So today I got her a hornworm.  Had it on a chopstick while she was still in her cage.  I was just waiting for her to wake up and wander out then I was going to give it to her under a more controlled environment.  Nope.  She climbed out then dove off her cage and spear tackled the worm.  Rolled around with it across my bureau for a few seconds before sinking her mandibles in and spraying a geyser of hornworm juice on my wall.  I know it's in their nature but I've never seen a praying mantis be so savage and hangry.

Update:

Sad to say Honeydew passed away 2 weeks ago.  Seemed to be from natural causes.  She was well fed as you all know.  Went peacefully laying down.

I thought my mantis days were over...

Came home from work today to find one of the ooths she laid on my plant hatched.  It was the third one she had laid since I found her.  First two were on leaves so I put them in fridge.  Third was at the base of two prominent vines so I didn't want to cut them and didn't want to destroy the ooths just in case... But it seemed so unlikely to be fertile.  I was wrong.  There's now at least 80 hanging out in my bookshelf corner.  

Advice?

IMG_20190208_191702530.jpg

IMG_20190208_192002985.jpg

sorry you lost Honeydew. but she left you fertile ooths.

Lol, the nymphs are roaming free in your room :eek: I think that will work against mosquitos. But are you keeping them out and free? They eat fruitflies, but let you the fruitflies roam free too?

I am sorry for your loss. Have fun rounding up all those nymphs!

- MantisGirl13

Hey @hysteresis!  Yeah been a while.  Just preoccupied with work stuff.  

So yeah they're roaming free but I've managed to keep most isolated by the bookshelf/plant and have been rounding up the adventurers, putting them in random clear containers with paper towel taped on the top as a lid.

Going to hopefully get some fruit flies today.  No idea how I'm going to make this work.  I suppose drop a few in each container then maybe some in the plant.