Help to choose a mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mëluzynn

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

A swiss guy living in Geneva (2h30 by train from home) saw on FB that I've lost Lulu and he sent me what he have at home.

Can you help me to choose ? I really dont know the other species...

I have Aluine's terrarium who is full of plants and tropical (almost tropical). And I have another smaller terrarium that can be arranged as I want (like the size of a shoe box).

He sent me this :

Oothèques:

Miomantis binotata
Humbertiella ceylonica
Pseudoharpax virescens
Phyllocrania paradoxa
Gongylus gongylondes
Hierodula majuscula
Metalytticus violaceus
Brunneria borealis
Sphodro sp
Odontomantis sp
Blepharopsis mendica
Nymphes:
Miomantis binotata
Blepharopsis mendica
Odontomantis sp
Empusa pennata
Gongylus gongylondes
Maybe that I'd like to have a couple this time. The female in Aluine's terrarium and the male in the other one, Dunno,,.

Or maybe an ootheca ? Why not, don't know either,,,

What do you think ?

Thanks for the help :)

I thought to buy a majusculata ootheca, it's a beautiful mantis and a big size.

I just dont know if I'll be able to take care of an ooth hatching...

Empusa pennata seem to be a nice choice, especially because it's an European mantis. Are they easy to keep ?

If you want something similiar to your first then go for the hierodula majs or sphodos as they are very similiar in shape,need and keeping,and won't need specific dryness or heat. There are really great exotics on that list like empussa and gongy though but you would really have to watch how you are keeping them,as they do require that more warm than wet approach. Hope that helps,sorry for your Aluine :(

Well, Aluine's photo album on FB is public so you can see the pictures of the terrarium there : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4989596736961.2206763.1210865067&type=1&l=8a470e183b

I made some changes since my last post on the forum, I have to update my terrarium topic.

I still have the automatic sprayer Moonsoon and also a heater between the glass and the background. The temperature during the day is approx. 27°C and humidity approx. 40-50%.

I can remove the automatic sprayer if it's not useful but it will be hard to heat more (lights are reaaaaaally expensive in Switzerland), actually I have one lamp, with the Repti Glo 5.0 26W, this one : http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/compact_fluorescent_bulbs.php

The second terrarium can be arrange as I want, but the heating problem will be the same.

I agree with those who have said that Hierodula and Sphodromantis species would do well in conditions similar to what you kept Aluine in. I have H. majuscula myself and I really like them, there is a range of colors among my nymphs from bright green to coppery-brown, and they are active, calm with being handled, and very fun to watch.

The Gongys and B. mendicas would need more heat and lower humidity levels. I'm keeping two mendica nymphs with a heat source, and other than the need for more heat they haven't been difficult for me, but I haven't yet raised any to adulthood.

The Blepharopsis mendica require very hot temps and not much humidity which would not do for plants....

The ootheca will hatch out in conditions similar to what you'd keep the mantids in, so there shouldn't be any issues. You won't want it to get soaked on a regular basis though as that may cause mold to grow

I would go for the Miomantis binotata. You could probably get a decent number to cohabitate and it's probably very easy to keep and breed. Also it's a very handsome species I have never seen in person.

What a nice offer for you!

What mantis you get totally depends on your preference, experience, and setup. If you have mini enclosures, an ootheca would be very cool, but you'd have to hatch it and there isn't much guarantee when it comes to hatch rate . . .

I would go for the Miomantis binotata. You could probably get a decent number to cohabitate and it's probably very easy to keep and breed. Also it's a very handsome species I have never seen in person.
That's very true, mine are very fun. Aggressive toward prey, yet still pretty communal, also really easy to breed ( I've got a ton of ooths at the moment)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I think I'll go for a majuscula ootheca and that's it :)

I won't have it before 10-15 days so now I have to take time to prepare what will be needed and to read a lot about hatching an ootheca ^^

No, I'll keep Aluine's terrarium for an adult, it's stable, plants are healthy, I will let him live without any mantis for now.

And I'll read what I'll need for a hatching and prepare what needs to be prepared.

And my english is worst than ever...loooool

Latest posts