Hi everybody

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seal36

Reaction score
I just wanted to introduce myself I am new here but have kept mantids for 2 years although have just taken 2 months off of mantis keeping as my last mantis passed away of old age in October. I also have 2 tanks of stick insects. Thanks from Tom

Hello Tom and welcome to the forum :clap: After 2 years you should have some good advice for others here, and newbies like me, glad to have you here.

As your currently taking a break from mantises, and idea what species your try next?

to the group... Thomas... You should not tease the newcomers... :clown: Let them get addicted on their own...

to the group... Thomas... You should not tease the newcomers... :clown: Let them get addicted on their own...
I figured as he's been at it for 2 years there is nothing I can say to make it any worse by now. :D

Thank you for the nice messages. I am looking into the small species at the minute as I have previously only had the bigger species.

I have had:

Sphodromantis lineola

Hierodula Multispina

Orchid mantis

Deadleaf mantis

Congo green mantis.

Tried cryptic mantis want to try again though.

At the minute I am looking at

Miomantis caffra

Miomantis paykullii

Sybilla pritiosa.

I have a exo terra nano which is 20cm x 20cm x 30cm. (DxWxH)

I am more interested in the miomantis and think I would ideally like the caffra over the paykulli but am not completely sure yet

Thanks from Tom

Looks like you have hit several of the most common want/must have's species others around here have on their list. The only other common must have one I read not on your list is the Idolomantis diabolica.

If I swap out species (or add to) I'll have to go for a boxer mantis (so many species available) - I know Denise has some Hestiasula major nymphs, and they look like fun. With all their waving and everything, seems they are a more active mantis.

At the minute I am looking at
Miomantis caffra
Miomantis paykullii
Sybilla pritiosa.

I have a exo terra nano which is 20cm x 20cm x 30cm. (DxWxH)
I am more interested in the miomantis and think I would ideally like the caffra over the paykulli but am not completely sure yet
Thanks from Tom
Seems both of the species you are debating between have some unique traits.

I've read that a caffra ootheca can continue latching over two seasons.- that would be strange if you plan to bred them. While the paykullii is much smaller at about 1" fully grown, and can be housed in a much smaller tank only 4" x 3" is large enough for a adult. Allowing many more to be kept in the same amount of space as the caffra.

Best of luck deciding, or raising them both. :D

Love the boxer & Ghosts- Phyllocrania paradoxa are always dancing...

Miomantis binotata - pin stripe

Latest posts