Hi!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantispider

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m Abe and I’ve only recently gotten back into the hobby after a 10 year hiatus. I currently keep wild caught Iris Oratoria (seems to be the only species where I live) and am very interested in discussing not only that species, but others as I delve deeper into the hobby, as well as connecting with likeminded people. Thanks for having me!

Thanks! They’re both doing very well. Are you a mantis keeper yourself? If so, what species?
Yep. I'm currently keeping Deroplatys desiccata, Astyliasula phyllopus (ex. Hestiasula major), and Phyllocrania paradoxa, although I will be expanding my collection in the near future.

Whats your favorite species of mantises, or a species you would love to keep in the future?

Whats your favorite species of mantises, or a species you would love to keep in the future?
Hmm...great question! If I was forced to choose a favorite, then M. Religiosa, but otherwise I probably couldn't pick just one. I do really love the classic mantis look! Bonus points if the species are a unique color like blue or yellow like the Hierodulas can be! As far as keeping...well, Hierodula would be cool. I also really, really want an M. Religiosa as well but I can't seem to find them for sale anywhere.

How about you?

Nice! I've almost never seen people selling M. Religiosa before, although I may get my hands on some wild ooths in the next week or so, and I'll message you if I find any. My favorite species has to be either Idolomantis diabolica, Gonylus gongylodes, or Phyllothelys cornutus.

Nice! I've almost never seen people selling M. Religiosa before, although I may get my hands on some wild ooths in the next week or so, and I'll message you if I find any. My favorite species has to be either Idolomantis diabolica, Gonylus gongylodes, or Phyllothelys cornutus.
Thanks, I'd appreciate that! I just looked up the diabolica and wow! That's so beautiful. I see why they'd be one of your favorites. The other ones are cool too! I didn't know about cornutus either - that structure on the top of its head is so funny lmao. Thanks for sharing!

Ya! I didn’t know the Phyllothelys cornutus existed until a year ago, and If I had $1,500 and I was willing to give the risk that they wouldn’t hatch, I would be getting an ooth right now.

Also Toxodera. Those are almost all breeders dream mantis, although it will most likely only stay a dream because only 2 people (that I know of) have ever breed Toxodera successfully.

Thanks, I'd appreciate that! I just looked up the diabolica and wow! That's so beautiful. I see why they'd be one of your favorites. The other ones are cool too! I didn't know about cornutus either - that structure on the top of its head is so funny lmao. Thanks for sharing!
Ya, looks like they have a little Christmas tree on their heads 😂😂😂

You should check out pictures of Toxodera beieri and Toxodera integrifolia. The colors on these two are unbeatable, unfortunately I havn't heard of Toxodera integrifolia being mated in captivity yet.

Latest posts