How I make fruit fly medium!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got to tread a bit cautiously on this one. I used to think that the absurd concoctions that so many people come up with, more ingredients than I use in a three course meal, were due to Americans' firm conviction that food = love, but Mija uses even more ingredients, vinegar molasses and rotting bananas in addition to the those mentioned above. I've probably forgotten a few. O.K., Mija, if it works for you, it's got to be fine. But for everyone else, you have to be out of your minds!

As I've said before, I like the Carolina prepared mix, partly because it is simple and partly because the instructions begin: "Dump equal volumes..." Use that, a little yeast (they supply a package) and a thin slice of apple as a bacterial substrate, and you're set.

Reading through this thread, I was struck by the fact, Asylum 23, that "after about 9 days, 5 of the 6 cultures have maggots laid in them."

Did you start off with five flies? If not, then your culture is way, way late or your ambient temperature is way too low. Recently I have been trying a culture medium that I discovered by accident when I was making something else. I semi-crushed a cup of dog food pellets, added two cups of boiling water, and left the soggy mass outside in a bowl covered with cling wrap to cool. And forgot it. Two days later it was cool, moldy and smelled like a brewery, and willd ff's were lined up by batallion, trying to get at it. I keep a small but thriving culture of wild ffs in my kitchen, so I scooped out some of this gunk, put it in a 32oz pot and added a little white wine to attract the flies. I also added a small slice of apple and the usual few grains of yeast, though that was probably redundant. I left it out overnight so the flies could enter the pot, and in the mormning, tossed in a little excelsior and closed the lid and dated it 040109. Right now (040309), the ffs are flying around, having sex and smiling a lot, and I have maggots already climbing up the side of the pot. How much easier, cheaper and effective than that can you get? Huh?

O.K. its's a bit subjective and I'm going to be seriously busy this weekend in the bug room. Next week, I'll set up six cultures, two with the Carolina mix, two with the masa harina concoctoion described in this thread and two with the "funky dog food special." I'll introduse 50 newly purchased wingless mels into each pot (any idea how much work that involves?) and set up six more identical pots, with the addition of vinegar as Christian has suggested, for an equal number of hydei. After the F2 generation ecloses, I'll stun the flies (probably end up killing most of them) and do a body count. And I just hope, Peter, that I get a Special Prize for this! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... my new culture doesn't seem to be doing too great. I used this medium and followed your instructions closely.

The medium seems to be developing air pockets. 2/3 of the maybe.. 40 or so fruit flies I added to the container have died. I don't know exactly what is killing them.

I do admit, the culture I am getting these fruit flies from is almost a month old and is dying out itself. Is it simply from this?

Hmm... my new culture doesn't seem to be doing too great. I used this medium and followed your instructions closely.The medium seems to be developing air pockets. 2/3 of the maybe.. 40 or so fruit flies I added to the container have died. I don't know exactly what is killing them.

I do admit, the culture I am getting these fruit flies from is almost a month old and is dying out itself. Is it simply from this?
Lots of air pockets generally means too much yeast added. I did that with some of my first batches. I add only a very small pinch now on top. No yeast gets mixed in.

The flies could have drowned if the mix was too wet. I doubt they would have all been too old, but that is also an unlikely possibility.

Lots of air pockets generally means too much yeast added. I did that with some of my first batches. I add only a very small pinch now on top. No yeast gets mixed in.The flies could have drowned if the mix was too wet. I doubt they would have all been too old, but that is also an unlikely possibility.
These instructions say nothing about a "pinch" of yeast or not to mix it in? or am I wrong? I used a whole packet of yeast and DID mix it in. I'll have to re-make it.

These instructions say nothing about a "pinch" of yeast or not to mix it in? or am I wrong? I used a whole packet of yeast and DID mix it in. I'll have to re-make it.
Eesh. :blink: Yeah, I guess those directions aren't that clear! But I do know now why your flies are ALL dead. That much yeast will use all the oxygen and make a CO2 rich environment. Your flies suffocated to death. :(

Some do mix in a bit of yeast, but I don't anymore.

Good luck on your next batch.

Eesh. :blink: Yeah, I guess those directions aren't that clear! But I do know now why your flies are ALL dead. That much yeast will use all the oxygen and make a CO2 rich environment. Your flies suffocated to death. :( Some do mix in a bit of yeast, but I don't anymore.

Yes and yes. That's the reason that you have "air pockets" in your medium, David, CO2.

My Funky Dog Food Special fermented so actively, without any yeast, that the magots from one culture started on 040190 are already "climbing the walls" and a few have pupated, but every single adult mel has died. The maggots in the second pot made on the same day are also climbing but none has pupated yet and all or most of the flies are still alive. Why? Because I made a mistake. I recycle my ff pots (yucky, but necessary) and the cloth lid of the first one had become so conaminated that it no longer allows air to pass. Better for the hungry maggots, worse for the flies.

Regardless of all the cute ingredients we use, the bacteria on which the mel larvae feed need plenty of fermenting material.

I doubt that the food microbes are obligate anaerobes (anyone know?) but they would certainly die in an oxygen rich atmosphere, so raising ff's also involves an atmospheric dance where the needs of the food bacteria have to be ballanced against those of the flies. What fun! :lol:

Yes and yes. That's the reason that you have "air pockets" in your medium, David, CO2.My Funky Dog Food Special fermented so actively, without any yeast, that the magots from one culture started on 040190 are already "climbing the walls" and a few have pupated, but every single adult mel has died. The maggots in the second pot made on the same day are also climbing but none has pupated yet and all or most of the flies are still alive. Why? Because I made a mistake. I recycle my ff pots (yucky, but necessary) and the cloth lid of the first one had become so conaminated that it no longer allows air to pass. Better for the hungry maggots, worse for the flies.

Regardless of all the cute ingredients we use, the bacteria on which the mel larvae feed need plenty of fermenting material.

I doubt that the food microbes are obligate anaerobes (anyone know?) but they would certainly die in an oxygen rich atmosphere, so raising ff's also involves an atmospheric dance where the needs of the food bacteria have to be ballanced against those of the flies. What fun! :lol:
Quite the read. I'm learning :p slowly but sure. Thanks.

Eesh. :blink: Yeah, I guess those directions aren't that clear! But I do know now why your flies are ALL dead. That much yeast will use all the oxygen and make a CO2 rich environment. Your flies suffocated to death. :( Some do mix in a bit of yeast, but I don't anymore.

k, same ingredients, no yeast this time.

Wow, this fruit fly culture stuff must be Very Important and Very Difficult! I think that this is page 12 of this thread.

I have a question.

Up until yesterday, I was adding a little Chardonnay from the carton that I keep in my kitchen to every new pot. I like to add a little of this to my culture medium, and the ffs seem to love it. I also find that it keeps them very happy and peaceful and less likely to attack. Yesterday, though, I ran out (I drank the last four or five glasses [who's counting?] just to make sure that the box was MT) and bought a box of Chablis because it was on sale. Now I am wondering, though. Californian Chablis is a nasty little, characterless wine, and I'm not sure that the ffs will like it. What do you think?

P.S. There is no vintage date on the box, for some reason. Is that a Bad Sign?

Worried in Yuma

Wow, this fruit fly culture stuff must be Very Important and Very Difficult! I think that this is page 12 of this thread.I have a question.

Up until yesterday, I was adding a little Chardonnay from the carton that I keep in my kitchen to every new pot. I like to add a little of this to my culture medium, and the ffs seem to love it. I also find that it keeps them very happy and peaceful and less likely to attack. Yesterday, though, I ran out (I drank the last four or five glasses [who's counting?] just to make sure that the box was MT) and bought a box of Chablis because it was on sale. Now I am wondering, though. Californian Chablis is a nasty little, characterless wine, and I'm not sure that the ffs will like it. What do you think?

P.S. There is no vintage date on the box, for some reason. Is that a Bad Sign?

Worried in Yuma
Do you mean is the box a bad sign or the no vintage :)

I believe Phil is making a joke about the boxed wine being of decent quality with which to make ff cultures... like the fruit flies respond to, and/or care, about the difference! ;) :p
Hmmm....I see, but what threw me off was him saying "I drank the last 4 or 5 glasses....." but I guess that just keeps Phil very happy and peaceful and less likely to attack!

:wub: :lol: :blink:

Hmmm....I see, but what threw me off was him saying "I drank the last 4 or 5 glasses....." but I guess that just keeps Phil very happy and peaceful and less likely to attack! :wub: :lol: :blink:
You guys have waaay too much time on yr hands! It might be spent more fruitfully :rolleyes: in wondering about how fruitflies calculate vintages and what qualities they find desirable:

FF.1 Oh! I see that they've put out their new Chablis!

FF.2 Yes, it was laid up at 12.17p.m. and released thirty seconds ago.

FF.1 (eagerly) So whatdya think?

FF.2 (contemplatively). Nice color. A little agressive on the palate, perhaps a little naive, but feisty, and I like the hint of Brettanomyces; always good. The aftertaste is redolent with strawberries, rotthing cabage and a subtext of CO2. I'm going to put up a couple of cases of this and give it time to mature, maybe as long as 10 minutes.

FF.1 (enthusiasticaly) Wow, you sure know your wines! But it always goes to my head. Think we can go and copulate now?

FF.2(confusedly) Burp?

You guys have waaay too much time on yr hands! It might be spent more fruitfully :rolleyes: in wondering about how fruitflies calculate vintages and what qualities they find desirable:FF.1 Oh! I see that they've put out their new Chablis!

FF.2 Yes, it was laid up at 12.17p.m. and released thirty seconds ago.

FF.1 (eagerly) So whatdya think?

FF.2 (contemplatively). Nice color. A little agressive on the palate, perhaps a little naive, but feisty, and I like the hint of Brettanomyces; always good. The aftertaste is redolent with strawberries, rotthing cabage and a subtext of CO2. I'm going to put up a couple of cases of this and give it time to mature, maybe as long as 10 minutes.

FF.1 (enthusiasticaly) Wow, you sure know your wines! But it always goes to my head. Think we can go and copulate now?

FF.2(confusedly) Burp?
ROFLMAO!!! :lol:

i'm trying this method out for the 1st time... today. but i divided into 2 seasoning containers since my openings are smaller & loosing flys sucks!!!! we'll see in a week how they turn out.

Since we're at post 239 on this topic, drolkp, would you mind telling us which method you are using? The one with masa flour and "dye"? :D Some of our younger members were still not born when the first entry was posted!

Latest posts