how long do D. melanogaster fruit flies take to emerge?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beckyl92

Reaction score
m gonna start breeding them. i normally make d.hydei cultures once a week + i've heard d.melanogaster have a shorter life span..

Melanogasters do breed and eclose faster... like a week faster. I'd say around 2 weeks turnaround time for melanogasters, and 3 weeks for D. hydei on average.
if i made cultures every week would i have contant flies available? or would it have to be twice a week?

if i made cultures every week would i have contant flies available? or would it have to be twice a week?
Unless you have a ton of mantids that is far too often. I make them in 32 oz deli cups and I start a new one when the old one starts drying out. If you're using the small vials it may be ok however I think most people use the 32 oz. The large cultures last a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Rick and Katt say, but be careful that the medium doesn't dry out and/or become mouldy* (even a medium with Paraben will get mouldy if you let it get too dry), and that the fly culture itself doesn't get so run down that it won't restart in a new pot. Some of us are trying brewers yeast, which Rebecca (Mantis Place) is now selling, and that seems to keep the culture going a bit longer, too.

* "mouldy" is English for "moldy".

Latest posts