How Many People in the US are Keeping H. coronatus?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AikoAiko

Reaction score
Just curious. Especially after Mantisplace started having them available again, it seems like there should be a lot of people keeping orchid mantises. But I only see a handful of people posting about this species that are from the US.

Who else on this forum currently keeps orchid mantises in the US?

Just curious. Especially after Mantisplace started having them available again, it seems like there should be a lot of people keeping orchid mantises. But I only see a handful of people posting about this species that are from the US. Who else on this forum currently keeps orchid mantises in the US?
I have 8 orchids that i got from an ooth i bought. Other friend has 2. They are about L4-L5 and most are all males

At one time many of us were. I don't know what happened. I used to sell the ooths cheap. This was not very long ago either.

wow it doesnt seem very many of us anymore hehe.

I want to try breeding this species. I prolly wont succeed =P

I hear taht it's hard to get the female to moult before the male and that the male grows pretty fast.

on top of that, i hear the female is aggressive as ever. I've seen with my own eyes, i drop a fly to a F nymph,

Snatched! in no or little time. I am scared later on in the future if i ever intro a male she might just kill it haha.

So before i even get to taht stage i will need someone's thread or breeding dairy later on in the future =)

wow it doesnt seem very many of us anymore hehe. I want to try breeding this species. I prolly wont succeed =P

I hear taht it's hard to get the female to moult before the male and that the male grows pretty fast.

on top of that, i hear the female is aggressive as ever. I've seen with my own eyes, i drop a fly to a F nymph,

Snatched! in no or little time. I am scared later on in the future if i ever intro a male she might just kill it haha.

So before i even get to taht stage i will need someone's thread or breeding dairy later on in the future =)
theres been plenty of discussion about keeping and breeding orchids on this forum, if you do a search and have a good look you should be pretty set! :) though you'll probably end up reading contradictory advice so i guess its a case of who to believe! :unsure: ;) anyway good luck.

ps - also bear in mind alot of people keep mantids without ever/rarely coming across forums like this, let alone posting! while some people i guess just prefer not to post for whatever reason, so you might be surprised at how many are actually keeping them! ;)

thx for reply and help

My male just moulted! i see his exo skel hanging on, he's teh same size as the female now =P so i gues the females ahead but not by far hehe.

So that is kinda good rite?

well i hope to find a great diary and thx again for help!

if he is the same size as the female then thats not really ideal :( look how big the female has to get (not my photo):

5123696-md.jpg

haha oh crud,

you're right.

i'm going to keep the male in a colder spot,

my female will be going into the living room.

My female will eat everyday.

my male will eat every other 2 days.

Does this seem like a plan?

Any help welcome =)

haha oh crud,you're right.

Any help welcome =)
i have never bred this species so wouldnt feel comfortable commenting on that but i'm sure if you do a search you will find your answer (or rather answers) ;) good luck!

haha oh crud,you're right.

Any help welcome =)
You might not want to keep the male in a colder spot. I read somewhere on this forum that somebody tried to slow down the growth of the male by keeping it in a cold place and feeding it very little. The male turned out very small and infertile if i'm not mistaken.

i had no idea that males were able to be infertile :huh:

i guess humans can get "blank shots" too hahaha

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts