How to spot when a moult is about to happen?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macromatt

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I've had Coral, My 3rd instar Orchid for around 2 weeks now, she's been feeding almost everyday, with the odd day where I don't feed or spray and I'm wondering when she will do her 4th moult/shed. How can I tell she's getting prepaired to do one? I don't want to disturb her.

Thanks

Matt

Often they will show a lack of interest in food the day prior to a molt. You might also notice them start to pulsate their abdomen as the time gets closer and they start to prepare. If you handle your mantises, they tend to become more clumsy right before a molt. I often describe it as them looking like they have sticky feet. When dealing with sub adults, swollen wing buds are another tell tale sign the time is nearing. Predicting sheddings is something that will become easier with experience. The subtle hints, changes in habits, ect will slowly become second nature.

If you get a suspicion the time is near make sure to remove any prey items if you normally leave feeders in the cage. If they are in a very busy place in the house you can move their cage to a more private corner. I often drape light blankets over the fronts of my cages for a bit of extra privacy. The wee hours of night and early morning are often the favorite time for them to shed so it can be a bit of Christmas waking up to see your mantis glistening in its new skin.

My biggest advice would be to try not to stress yourself out too much about it.

Just a quick note to say that a 3rd instar mantis began life as a 1st instar and will only have shed 2 times by the time it is 3rd instar (L3). (So she won't do her fourth shed until she is molting from L4 to L5.)

Mantises are unlikely to molt until their abdomens are quite plump. Young orchids will sometimes turn very pink just before the molt and for a bit afterwards. Some people think they are changing color to match their surroundings but I've never managed to notice any correlation/pattern with any tests I've done there. Also, the skin will sometimes look a little tight and shiny just before a molt (more easily seen in some species than others). Keep her warm and feeder her well, in addition to everything the last member shared.

On account of time alone, her molt may be past due and suggests perhaps you need to feed her a bit more and warm her up. It should be coming very soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks both, so will she not shed from L3 to L4?
I think Peter was pointing out you either have your shed count wrong or her current instar wrong. If she has already molted three times since hatching she would be classified as a L4 since most people don't count hatching from an ootheca as the 1st shedding. Usually it goes L1 has their 1st shedding to reach L2. Then when an L2 has what will be their 2nd shedding they will reach L3. Then an L3 would only be having their 3rd shedding to reach L4. Peter was trying to say either your mantis has only had 2 sheddings or they are currently a L4

I purchased her as an L3, I have just returned home from work and she has shed!!! she looks bigger too, it's quite remarkable!!!! I'm so happy :)

Their is still a few small fruit flies in the enclosure, should I try and get them out? she currently on the netted lid and I don't want to stress her.

Congrats on the successful shedding. If she is already out I wouldn't bother with removing the fruitflies if you would have to disturb her. Typically the danger with flies during a molt is that they can knock into the mantis while they are in the midst of molting and cause them to fall. Now that she is already out, a couple fruit flies won't be a problem.

Latest posts