humidity !

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloodtkr

Reaction score
Its been so cold here in Ct. My heat has been on more than off. Last month the humidity in my apmt was around 50%. Last night I noticed it was down to 30%. I lost a shield last night...found it in the bottom..and now I have a violin fighting to get its back 2 legs out of a molt. Body..front arms and front legs out ..its hanging by the back 2 since last night. I'm guessing I need to run a humidifier now? Hot or cold mist?

mist them a lot more. I use a reptifogger for really tropical species. Violins dont need a lot of humidity but I have not kept those for years.

Sorry for the trouble you are having.. I have been spraying mine daily... trying to keep the containers moist... I have a heater in my bug room along with heat mats.. I really need to get a vaporizer myself... I really do not know if the hot or cold would make a difference.. because once it hits the air.. I think it would cool it anyways...but that is just my opinion... I don't know how much I am off point...

maybe someone else has better insight...

Sorry again for your troubles... Bring on spring!

My humidity percentage is in the 20s. I have to use two humidifiers, which I have to refill 3 times a day because I have them on maximum mist output. I mist most of my species two times a day, except for the dry-tolerant species. I put a lot of paper towels as substrate and keep them pretty moist, but then I have to change them a lot to keep the enclosures clean.

I have two pre-sub/pre-pre sub gongy pairs. I've only been spraying them once every couple of days, current humidity is 29%. I probably should bump up the humidity a bit. I wonder what causes them to mismolt, since they like low humidity, humidity shouldn't be much of an issue? I believe it won't hurt to let them have a good drink before molting, so they have enough fluids in their bodies to have with molting.

I'm in the same boat as the heater is always on lately due to single digit temperatures (and now 8+ inches of snow adding to it). My bug room humidity can range from 20% to about 45% depending on if my humidifier is running.

I use coconut substrate in my nymph cups and was keeping it well misted to ensure the mantis nymphs humidity was always at good levels. Turns out they actually had too much humidity and some of the cups even developed mold. I've since kept the coconut substrate near dry, besides what it soaks up from the mantis misting, and have not had problems with mold or nymphs not having enough water.

Its really strange the nymph cups had too much humidity even in the dead of winter. Too bad there is no way to do a direct probe for humidity like what can be done with a infrared digital thermometer for spot temperature readings. As having hydrometers to know the room humidity even beside the cups is of no use, as I have two.

Best of luck to you working out your humidity.

I really need to get a vaporizer myself... I really do not know if the hot or cold would make a difference.. because once it hits the air.. I think it would cool it anyways...but that is just my opinion... I don't know how much I am off point...
maybe someone else has better insight...
A vaporizer and humidifier are two different things, at least the older models, and depending on which models/brands you buy still.

A vaporizer basically just throws out water as tiny droplets which promptly land nearby and soak anything close to it. The only way it can help with humidity is by the water it throws out slowly evaporating.

A humidifier turns the water to steam allowing the moisture/water to stay in the air, as it turns the solid water to vapor, and really does help with humidity.

I know with my humidifier, the water is turned to a continuous steam cloud instantly. If I fill it with hot water the mist will be very warm, but if I use cold water the mist will be cold as well. It's strange as I would think the steam heat plate would make all the mist come out the same temperature - perhaps it is just the ambient temperature of the water that changes the mist temperature as it leaves the humidifier.

Thanks Thomas.. I thought they would act the same.. now I know the difference... So now I need to look into a humidifier...

Thanks Thomas.. I thought they would act the same.. now I know the difference... So now I need to look into a humidifier...
Your welcome. ;)

I first learned the difference when buying one for my dad when he was sick, as we got a Vics branded one for him and had to return it.

He swears by the old yellow vaporizers, with the spinning spindle/disk, that it helps him get over a cold/flu much quicker. All I know is it is getting hard to find the model he likes as it isn't made now, and it costs $40 used on ebay if they have it. We luckily found one for $5 at a thrift store later that year. It's silly to see him sitting in front of that thing getting soaking wet with a towel drooped over his head :D

Latest posts