Hymenopus coronatus (Orchid mantis)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slonik

Reaction score
Hi

I have 5 Hymenopus coronatus L3, this is my first orchid mantis and I want ask you about sex of this 5 nymph.

I give here photos of my mantis, and please tell me is it male or female(of coure if you want and can).

First nymph:

pict0004pum7.jpg

pict0007prw4.jpg

Second nymph:

pict0014pxc6.jpg

pict0018ppv1.jpg

Third nymph:

pict0022pfd4.jpg

pict0027ptn0.jpg

Fourth nymph:

pict0030pyi9.jpg

pict0035pjz6.jpg

and the last one :

pict0037ppe7.jpg

pict0040pvq7.jpg

I hope that photos are good and you can tell is it male or female, but if not I'll try to make better photos.

Thanks for any answers :)

PS: I know that this isn't good english, but I hope, you understand this post :)

Last edited by a moderator:
form what i see the pics are not any good..u need to get pics of the tail to count the segments..but my guess if any one thats had this species will be bale to tell u straight away if its male or female..

yours are pink..where do u keep the pink flowers?

I know, 6 segments - female, 8 segments - male , but this nymph are too young

I hear, young H. coronatus we can sexing when they are very young (L2 - L3), because they has little, hmm, detail on 6 or 7 segment

This mantis are pink only on this pics, normally they are white, and pink flower I have in my house, but not in box with mantis.

Hi dude! What a small world.

Wait till they are L4 - it's still not too late to slow down the male - I started slowing down mine around L4 and so far during 5-6 weeks time he moulted just once, and one of my females is already pre-subadult.

Notice the small coloured edge on the thorax - it's pure green in the case on a female, and kinda brownish on males. Just look up the females you got from me, you'll know what I mean.

Besides, a slight difference in size becomes apparent after the third moult - so don't sweat, just wait a bit more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't really tell with those pics. I cannot tell the size of the last segment nor can I count the segments.

Latest posts