Hysteresis' Mantis Stream - 2019

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thing is, our relationships with them don't require a name.  We do it for ourselves maybe? Certainly for sharing in this forum!

I might be one of those that doesn't name them anymore, I dunno.  One day?  We'll see.  I'm not callous at all, and I anthropomorphise these bugs like CRAZY, but I can see the naming thing get tough pretty quick.  If I plan any tenure in this hobby, i'll run out of fancy names.  Maybe assigned serialization is the way to go?

Breeep booop. I am a robot. Breeep booop.

😫

Idk, humans name things. It's what we do; it's in our nature. Feels cold and unfeeling (though I know it isn't) to refer to something as a number. It can get tiresome naming things, but I see it as the more loving and caring approach. I may be trying to breed these creatures, but I am, at core, a pet owner over here (Bless my bleeding heart!) 

When I run out of names, Google will have more ideas I bet. I could always name them for inanimate objects or places or food items, I'm creative 😉😊 

Maybe assigned serialization is the way to go?
I've only named one since I first started the hobby, but then I started using Borg designations for each specimen when I have multiples of the same species: 3 of 6, 2 of 4. However, recently I've started calling my Carolina Gladys as part of an inside joke and it kinda stuck. 😀

Last edited by a moderator:
Flying cars? You kidding me? That Stone Age tech? We should be at teleportation by now. 😂.

And just like that, the situation changes for Hope.  Kinda, but maybe not really?

Her right raptorial tibia (that was already black) has fallen right off. Damn, the girl looks crazy.

Autotomy at its finest? 😂

She seems no worse for the wear. She just ate two more small crickets and took water from a qtip.

I just set it down and she knows what to do, old pro! 🙄

So without that tibia, she won't be taking any strolls up the side, I figure.

Next molt should be within two weeks. We'll see.

Randall Flagg, Rhombodera megaera L4 male (#2), eating scissored small dubia.

DSC_0003%20(2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Flying cars? You kidding me? That Stone Age tech? We should be at teleportation by now. 😂.

I was hoping for antigravity devices, but if we leapfrog into large scale quantum teleportation, I'll be okay with that. 😉
You guys are too funny! 

And just like that, the situation changes for Hope.  Kinda, but maybe not really?

Her right raptorial tibia (that was already black) has fallen right off. Damn, the girl looks crazy.

Autotomy at its finest? 😂

She seems no worse for the wear. She just ate two more small crickets and took water from a qtip.

I just set it down and she knows what to do, old pro! 🙄

So without that tibia, she won't be taking any strolls up the side, I figure.

Next molt should be within two weeks. We'll see.
I am sorry that she lost a tibia. That is not good. Treat the would with honey and see if she wants any to eat.

- MantisGirl13

You guys are too funny! 

I am sorry that she lost a tibia. That is not good. Treat the would with honey and see if she wants any to eat.

- MantisGirl13
I'll continue to treat her with honey. That tibia went black shortly after the mismolt, as has a tarsus on her back leg.

Her appetite is superb. I'm still cautiously hopeful.

I'll continue to treat her with honey. That tibia went black shortly after the mismolt, as has a tarsus on her back leg.

Her appetite is superb. I'm still cautiously hopeful.
I'll keep praying that she makes her next molt! If she is still eating well there shouldn't be anything wrong on the inside. I hope she makes it!

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts