I am new and need a few answers to get started ;-)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 made it alive. A couple molted in the process I think unless Dave put extras in and those 2 "skins" are dead ones? Unfortunately, the fly cultures I ordered from NEHerp did not survive the heat so I am trying to collect some flies outside to get them by until the holiday passes and I can get an order shipped. I threw some blue bottle flies I caught in the shipping container and a 2g fish bowl I separated the larger ghosts into for now. 4 of the ghosts ate the large flies, I was surprised, they must have been hungry from the long trip!

I setup the terrarium as shown below. I am looking for feedback before I introduce them. They seem to be doing well so far with our outdoor temperature (74-90 deg) and humidity (61-100%) since they arrived 4 days ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: The kids are getting big! 7 still alive. It was 9 for 3 weeks until the past 2 days when a few molted and now they are significantly larger. 3 were always significantly smaller and 2 that are now missing were the smaller ones so I assume cannibalism although they have been fed well. The enclosure is still being moderated by our FL outdoor environment. In addition to our high humidity this time of year I have been spraying the foliage heavily every other day. I have seen no molting issues as a result of this "wet" environment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spray the enclosure for the benefit of the moss and fern, not the Mantids. The test was if they would be alright with this environment and so far they have thrived

after two years of chinese and europeans (wild caught or raised from ooth) - i thought mantises were awesome but challenging, especially with the chinese - a few molting issues but more so sudden deaths specifically with the chinese right at presub and early adult - despite good aeration, misting and healthy diet of flies and crickets from reputable sources - i was almost ready to give it up.

now with both ghosts and orchids - so much easier. i guess i started in mantis boot camp.

Latest posts