ID Help!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parker679

Reaction score
Yesterday I found a mantis in my patio. I do not have a pic of the exact one but in my search online to find out what the species is I came across a picture of the same one.

Any ideas as to what I have?

PIcture of mantis

Note: I didn't post the image directly since it's not my image. Also, I live in Tallahassee, FL if that helps.

Looks like either a Brunneria borealis or Thesprotia graminis. Both of those species live in Florida. If it's B. borealis, it has thicker antennae. That mantis should get REALLY long if you check on it every once in a while. That is, if it picks a spot to live in your yard. I had a female Carolina mantis (Stagmomantis carolina) that lived in a bush in my front yard pretty much her whole life. I first saw her when she was a nymph, and eventually she molted to adult and I saw her and a male mating on the side of my house. So hopefully your mantis will pick a spot to live in your yard. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like either a Brunneria borealis or Thesprotia graminis. Both of those species live in Florida. If it's B. borealis, it has thicker antennae. That mantis should get REALLY long if you check on it every once in a while. That is, if it picks a spot to live in your yard. I had a female Carolina mantis (Stagmomantis carolina) that lived in a bush in my front yard pretty much her whole life. I first saw her when she was a nymph, and eventually she molted to adult and I saw her and a male mating on the side of my house. So hopefully your mantis will pick a spot to live in your yard. :)
After more research I think it's Thesprotia graminis, it has very fine antennae. It must have taken refuge in my patio during the heavy rains we had yesterday. I took it inside so the dog wouldn't get to it and fed it some house flies. Yum!

Thesprotia graminis!Thanks I was looking for that name!I think this is it.Brunneria borealis have long red horns even when nymphs and have more colors...

Try to keep it so you will get plenty of oothes. :) (it is parthogenetic isn t it?)

Thesprotia graminis!Thanks I was looking for that name!I think this is it.Brunneria borealis have long red horns even when nymphs and have more colors...

Try to keep it so you will get plenty of oothes. :) (it is parthogenetic isn t it?)
Yes, these are parthogenetic, but they can also sexually reproduce. Pretty cool this species has two alternate types of reproduction.

I have 3 or 4 brunners, they dont seem agressive at first glance but watch out! When they get hungry, they really get hungry lol.

Awesome! Thanks guys.

The one I found is around 3-4 inches and no wings so I assume it's female. I'll hang on to it and hope for babies that I can release outside.

This time of year my yard is overrun with "standard" mantids but this is the first time I've seen one like this.

If it doesn't have wings yet, it's probably a juvenile, considering the size. If you google Thesprotia graminis, you'll see a bunch of pics of them with wings. Pretty much all mantids grow wings when they hit adult. So yours is possibly a juvenile or subadult. If you look really closely behind the thorax, you'll see four little overlapping wing buds.

Funny enough, a couple days ago I was looking in the cage I have it in and i see a "blob" in the corner. Turns out it laid a small ootheca. Any tips on what I should do with it?