ID Help

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domanating

Reaction score
So I was suddenly interested in making an ant farm. I was looking for a relatively big species of ant and tried to dig up a nest for the queen.

But amongst the gargantuan foraging worker ants I found this little guy in the middle of dry soil and ant nests with no foliage whatsoever around.

dscn15142.jpg

dscn15181m.jpg

It's the first time I see this species in Portugal, whatever it is.

I assume, due to its microscopic size, that it's an L1

The head colors are astounding!

If this mantis failed to spot one of those big ants it would have become an easy meal for them, though

Can anyone identify it please? So I can make a proper enclosure for it

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey it was with ants?Perlamantis are Amorphocelididae.It could be it.Plus it seems full.

It looks like Geomantis too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey it was with ants?Perlamantis are Amorphocelididae.It could be it.Plus it seems full.

It looks like Geomantis too.
What is Amorphocelididae? In Google search it makes me correct the word to Amorphochilus and then it's all about smoky bats, lol

Looks like Geomantis larvoides. Definitely not Perlamantis, as the latter doesn't have ventral spines on foretibia.

Looks like Geomantis larvoides. Definitely not Perlamantis, as the latter doesn't have ventral spines on foretibia.
Also the head shape doesn't match with Perlamantis. Thanks for the ID, guys.

So I've been looking around and seems like pretty much all photos of this species are taken on the ground. I deduce this is a ground mantis?

As an inexperienced keeper for this particular species:

What humidity levels are advised for it?

How big does it get?

I'm currently keeping it in a fairly big jar with sand, twigs and some dry weeds to climb on in an attempt to replicate the area where I found him

Latest posts