Identification Malaysia february 2012

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melano

Reaction score
Hi everebody,

I am in Malaysia since few weeks with Bartek...

We find this on our noodle soup yesterday...

Probably a Odontomantis or a Hierodula or it's just a stick insect :oops:

DSC_7847.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to be a Toxodera spec. ;)

Do u have a pic of the whole?

They are so tasty

We have a lot of problems with identification them... I m sure they must be Odontomantis...

Hi

As we cannot see if the Pronotum is bended or not, as a consequence we cannot say if this is a Toxodera or a Paratoxtodera. Plus, there might be other genera of Toxoderidae in Malaysia, thus all we can say looking at this picture is that this is a member of the Toxoderidae.

regards

Let's be more serious now :)

We need help for identification and sexing... Help will be really appreciate :)

If you need some specific pictures of any part of the body please tell us...

For Chrisp... I've had 7 times a heart attack... You know what it means ? ;)

DSC_7731.jpg

DSC_7912.jpg

DSC_7905.jpg

DSC_7904.jpg

DSC_7947.jpg

more pictures soon...

We trying but firstly we need some help... some one could tell us that they are males or females? In my mind they are both males...

For now I'll call them species 1,2,3... and specimen A,B,C...

on my second post...

the first image with the meter (centimeters) will be the species 1 specimen A (S1-A)

the second image below will be the species 2 specimen A (S2-A)

now for the photos below... Species 3 specimen A (S3-A)

DSC_8221.jpg

DSC_8232.jpg

DSC_8237.jpg

now for the photos below... Species 4 specimen A (S4-A)

DSC_8278.jpg

DSC_8290.jpg

now S1-B

DSC_8255.jpg

DSC_8336.jpg

DSC_8338.jpg

now S1-B (left) and S1-A (right)

DSC_8303.jpg

now S3-A (up left), S4-A (up right) and S1-B (down)

DSC_8240.jpg

please don't hesitate to ask for specific picture of their body

For us they are all males but without any certitude and we think there is 4 species without any certitude ;)

Hi

So you have both: Toxodera and Paratoxodera. If they came (flying) to a light (-trap) in the night, these will be males. That's why light traps are only usefull to get an impression of the species living in a habitat (because males will be fine enough for this purpose). On the other hand, in general, light traps in the night are useless to receive some females. That's why light traps are interesting for research, but completely useless for people who wanna breed them and produce some babies. However, all are adult and if some of these will lay ooth, you'll know you have some females.

regards

Hi Tier,

Thank you for your answer :)

We don't catch them... It was brought to us by villagers. I just sure than one at least (S3-A) was catches during the day. I don't know if they used some light trap...

Do you know exact name of each species ?

Cheers

Hi

You are welcome.

Ohh, that is very good. So some might be females. You just have to count the segments on the ventral side of the abdomen - just like with all other mantid species. Or you can post pictures of the end of the abdomens (ventral).

Sorry, I cannot identify the species. But the ones with a bended pronotum should be Toxodera, the ones with a streight pronotom should be Paratoxodera.

http://tolweb.org/Paratoxodera/12927

http://tolweb.org/Toxodera/12928

But I am not even 100% sure that all your mantids belong to the two mentioned genera, as there might be other Toxoderidae in Malaysia.

http://tolweb.org/Toxoderidae/12759

By the way: If you are planning a google picture search with the species names for further identification, just directly forget it! Almost 100% of the pictures in Google are missidentified and labeled with wrong names!

Best luck!

I have to take pictures of their abdomen but they are moving a lot when you manipulate them...

I tried already google... for toxodera and paratoxodera... it's a mess... I find several name for the same species lol

thank you anyway for your help :)

Latest posts