Idolo and Labrador become friends

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giesle

Reaction score
I was hoping to maybe finally get my Idolo to do a threat pose by putting her in front of my dog, but she just wanted to crawl up on him....with great hesitancy. First she started to crawl on his foot and then backed off, then she stood there and did a couple of quick jabs at my dog's ear to test the water before going for it, which would have made a cool video, as high as she made his ear flip up. I probably would have ended up with a great shot if I let it continue, but as obedient as my dog is, I just couldn't imagine him letting her crawl up on him via the ear without at least a paw swipe and I couldn't risk it.

i-zrH5fwj.jpg

i-Q898XmG.jpg

i-WZDVCqc.jpg

This is a very sweet series of pics. How soon after your adult Idolo molted did the beautiful green patterns appear?

Rich

This is a very sweet series of pics. How soon after your adult Idolo molted did the beautiful green patterns appear?

Rich
About a week I believe.
Cute pics. I'm sure the Idolo could take that dog if she was hungry enough.
Yeah, that's what really scared me. Imagining a raptor going into that eye after crawling up his ear makes me sick.

Beautiful shots, my Mastiff wouldn't be able to help taking a lick on the little guy, which may not work out in the mantids best interest. :p

Scott; I just had an Idolo male molt to adult this weekend and noticed how bland and monochromatic his colors are. Then Tammy told me to expect him to color up in a week or so. I am glad because otherwise he is nothing really to look at.

Rich

Scott; I just had an Idolo male molt to adult this weekend and noticed how bland and monochromatic his colors are. Then Tammy told me to expect him to color up in a week or so. I am glad because otherwise he is nothing really to look at.

Rich
Congratulations. Yeah, it doesn't take long for them to get the colors. I really like the feathery antenna on the males, so that's an added bonus you have going.

i bet my blephs could eat a dog :lol:
No idea what a bleph is. Gave up after 10 minutes of Googling. :) But is sounds :devil: . This pic is currently on today's(05/13...always a day behind in Flickr time) first page of Flickr's Explore, so that's pretty cool.

Ahh. Feel stupid now. I don't know, though. You're right that they may be able to take a dog, but Winston is 95 lbs. That would have to be one big mean mf'n Bleph to take him down. B)

Cute! This reminds me, me and Entomo-logic were working with some vinegaroons a few weeks ago, and we were having one of those "Would you rather" or "How much would you pay" conversations. So he says, "How much would you pay for an Idolo the size of a Labrador?" :lol: :p

Latest posts