Is it okay to feed only one type of feeder?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladyarcana55

Reaction score
I recently got my first mantis and I am getting conflicting formation on what to feed her.

Is it okay for me to give her exclusively crickets or would it be best to give her a variety? I ask because I am thinking of roaches but I am really worried about some escaping. Considering that my husband and I live at his mother's house, it is definitely a concern.

I was also thinking mealworms, but I heard they are actually not good for them. What do you think?

Thanks!

Lots of varied opinions on an exclusive cricket diet on this forum.  Personally, I had TERRIBLE luck with getting good fly cultures this winter.  I won't get into that...but I did manage to become a regular at my local PetSmart buying freaking crickets all winter.  6-8 mantises...all bigger than L3 (including 4 adults).  I'd say their diet has been about 98% cricket since December.  No health issues so far.  I did manage to mix in a few mealworms, and had some success with a handful of red runner roaches...but it's been cricket sandwiches pretty much all day and night for my mantises!  That looks to continue being the case as long as winter won't give way to spring here in N. IL.  I was super excited that I had 3 days so far where it was warm enough for me to catch some flies! 

If you don't want to establish your own self-sustaining cricket colony (which I didn't), my only caution would be to buy a 2-3 dozen at a time.  Quarantine them for a couple days before offering to your mantises....just to make sure you didn't inherit any really sick ones.  Remove dead crickets ASAP, and take good care of them (I use cricket gel and cricket food).  I always make sure they have a food and h20 source, and swap out the egg carton climbing surface every week.  A little ventilation is helpful as well. Personally, I think it's better to give them a variety, but crickets will do the job when you lack variety.  Nothing wrong with offering them a mealworm or two as dessert every now and then either!  :)

Just keep them however you normally do.  Keep an eye on them and make sure the sick/dying aren't more than what you usually see. Of course, any that you see in that category...remove immediately.  The 2-3 day observation period is just a precaution to hopefully get rid of some the crickets that picked something up from the pet store population.  No guarantees that some still won't get sick or die after that...but if they're eating and acting healthy in my own cricket enclosure after a few days...I figure they're probably going to be fine for the mantises.  

All things being equal, I'll admit that I am looking forward to being able to mix up my mantises diet drastically as spring finally rolls in.  Crickets have been fine, but they are a bit high maintenance and probably are more susceptible to disease and mortality than the other assorted feeders. 

If you are going to try roaches make sure to get one with a soft body like Red Runners, they don't seem to like the roaches that have a tough exterior like dubias. Red runners are well received by my mantises and are extremely easy to keep. They eat anything you offer and are usually fine at room temp, between 70 to 85 F (a heat mat to get them to at least 80 degrees F may be necessary if you plan to breed them.) Most importantly they don't smell or make noise like crickets and they don't die as easily.

To prevent escapees I keep mine in an 8 quart (12" x 6") plastic bowl that has locks to keep the lid closed and a watertight seal. (I bought it for $6 at Walmart.) I drilled small air holes in the lid and hot glued window screen on top.  They can't climb the sides of the bowl but even if they could the seal & screen would keep them in. 2018_04_20_025316_1524235352333.jpg

To avoid the roaches hiding in the substrate of my mantis's enclosure where the mantis would never find them I offer it to them with feeding tongs, but you can also put them together in an empty container and let the mantis catch them. I ordered the red runners from a seller on eBay that had a great deal...100 for $10 with $3 shipping. Because the seller was in the same state I received the roaches the very next day even though he sent them by 1st class mail. I looked for the same listing but he currently only has 50 red runners for $6 + $3 shipping.

You can feed just one type of insect and have the mantis thrive but I prefer to go the route of keeping lots of different prey so I always have something on hand ready to feed. Besides roaches I also feed my mantises blue bottle flies, mealworms, wax worms, black soldier flies, and the occasional dubia roach if I am able to coax them into accepting it. I ordered all of these insects online and try to keep colonies when I can...like fruit flies are super easy to culture, I keep a hydei colony for nymphs. Red runners are supposed to be super easy to breed too. I've only had my colony for a couple weeks but hopefully they will breed and be the mantis's main staple, ordering blue bottle pupa every month gets expensive over time. I wish they would stay viable in the fridge longer so I could order in bulk but such is life. 

Mealworms and waxworms are traditionally seen as bad to feed in excess/as a staple for reptiles and other exotics because of their high fat content but insects don't have the ability to get fat so that really shouldn't be a concern for mantises. So if all you can get are mealworms for a time it's ok to feed only that for a while until you can find something else.

Thank you so much for the advice!

I personally have no problems with giving my Mantis roaches but the problem is possible escapes. My husband and I are currently with his mother and if a roach escapes in the house, Bella won't be the only one in need of a new home. By the way, I've named her Bella.

I've worried about mealworms because I've heard they are bad for mantids so it's good to see that's not really an issue.

Latest posts