Is this alright?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratmosphere

Reaction score
Would this enclosure be good for my L2 ghost mantis? Should I take the substrate out so the mantis could easily find its prey? 

IMG_1610.JPG

I recommend using a paper towel instead instead of substrate mainly because it is a lot easier to clean and it is easier to track down pesky uneaten bugs in the enclosure. But that is just my opinion some people prefer substrate over paper towel's. That cup will last that species most if not all it's life in terms of size. And the plant is a nice touch, if you run low on those flowers you can just go outside pick a few sticks off a tree, boil them and then put them in the freezer for a day. This will sterilize them of any sort of microbes that might harm your mantis. Good luck!

Just a suggestion, but with a relatively streamlined setup like this (cup, paper towel, perching object/s) you can consider flipping it over so the lid is on the bottom. That could help because 1) The mantis stays at the top most of the time and you won't disturb it as much when you open the lid, 2) Flies go to the top as well and you may find it easier to put them in, and 3) Removing waste material that collects on the towel is easier. The downside is that you'll have to find a way to secure the perching objects so they won't fall out when you open the enclosure.. or reduce their volume and attach them to the lid so they come off with the lid when you open the enclosure.

It's totally up to you of course! - I just find the inverted setup often works for me. All the best and have fun!

Indeed it is all user preference on paper towel or substrate.

I personally always use a sphagnum peat moss substrate (I started out with coconut fiber, and plantation soil) in all my habitats, expect other species of pets that require something different. I haven't found any cons with the sphagnum peat, but many pros to using it (moisture retention, cleaning crew availability, much cleaner looking, padding in case of a fall, etc.). ;)

My opinion:

Maybe cut out some of those low hanging branches, those could be the fatal flaw in your cup when it comes to molting. The dirt is fine.

Otherwise it works.

Personally I try to give em' all big homes, like cheeseball containers or fishbowls with mesh hot glued to the top. ;)   ...but that's me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts