Jumping spider feeding on cricket (pics)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ecooper

Reaction score
I found this Phidippus jumping spider wandering around on my living room ceiling. Before releasing it outside I thought Id take a few photos, and considering that its abdomen looked a little small, I gave it a two-week old cricket to eat.

These photos were also a test of a new flash bracket and diffuser Ive put together. I have to say that I am very pleased with the results!

There are a couple more photos of this critter on my blog.

Cheers,

EC

www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

Camera: Olympus OM-D E-M5

Lens: Zuiko 60mm micro four thirds macro

Settings: manual exposure (F11 @ 1/200 sec)

Lighting: Olympus FL-36 flash (1/4 power)

ISO: 200

P7140424 jumping spider copyright ernie cooper 2014 by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

P7140429 jumping spider copyright ernie cooper 2014 by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

What a cutie! Great pictures, the reflections in it's eyes make it look like it's gazing up at something. I'm sure the cricket is much appreciated.

Sensational work, Ernie ! One of my Salticidae Platycryptus undatus just hatched a brood of spiderlings. Never saw anything so small that didn't require a microscope! Although only three days old, their number is quickly dwindling, a circumstance I can only attribute to cannibalism. Going to try the pooter method to transfer 7 babies to individual apartments. Then try to figure out what to feed them!!

Sensational work, Ernie ! One of my Salticidae Platycryptus undatus just hatched a brood of spiderlings. Never saw anything so small that didn't require a microscope! Although only three days old, their number is quickly dwindling, a circumstance I can only attribute to cannibalism. Going to try the pooter method to transfer 7 babies to individual apartments. Then try to figure out what to feed them!!
Thanks! And congrats on the Platycryptus! I can only imagine how small the babies are! Will they take springtails maybe?

EC

Latest posts