Leash?????

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chessman007

Reaction score
Hello, I'm very confused! I read a book somewhere about praying mantis. In that book it said that the Chinese put praying mantises

on leashes and took them with them when they worked in the fields :huh: . It said the preying mantises kept the pests off the the workers.

I was wondering if anyone knows if this a truth or a rumor. I would like to know because I want to go to take my mantis to my friends house

but my mantis has to be contained. I don't want to put it in a container because I think it would be really cool to have a mantis on a leash :D .

I just learned a couple days back one of my friends used leashes to tie wild caught ones to her hat while teaching classes. The kids apparently loved it. At the end of the day she would then snip the lead off, give them a mealworm as pay, and send them on their way. :lol:

Good way to cut one in half if you want an expert opinion! btw, I an no expert, but that is my opinion, .......................................... sorry, could not write that piece down, but it felt better to get it out.

Plenty of mantids are calm enough to hang out on your shirt, without a leash. Just keep an eye on them like you are watching a toddler. :lol: Many times I have walked across the street to my friends house, with a mantis on my hand or shirt. Just watch out for birds. :eek: I have never had a problem with a loose adult female. But, adult males will probably fly away. Young nymphs can be jumpy though.

I wouldn't trust that website either. It has a Mantis religiosa listed as a Stagmomantis californica.

Good way to cut one in half if you want an expert opinion! btw, I an no expert, but that is my opinion, .......................................... sorry, could not write that piece down, but it felt better to get it out.
o_O Is this from personal experience having one cut in half or just a guess?

You can do whatever you want. I can guarantee it would be worthless in keeping pest insects off of someone working outside though.

no experience, just think how thread is thin and strong, butting against it cuts things, and Rick, I agree, if a mosquito is on my knee and the mantis is tied to my head, I would have to catch it and give to mantis, by then I can just slap it and save myself time!

no experience, just think how thread is thin and strong, butting against it cuts things, and Rick, I agree, if a mosquito is on my knee and the mantis is tied to my head, I would have to catch it and give to mantis, by then I can just slap it and save myself time!
I guess it would depend what type of thread you use. You don't have to use teeny thin thread. I agree though, a mantis would not be my first line of defense against insect bites in the field. That being said, my girls are starting to get a little fat and I need to do something to up their exercise. Thus, long walks in the park on a leash it is. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
What if you were to use one of those "C" ring type closures for jewelry. A nice sterling clasp opened and put around thorax then close. It will be not too tight, kinda like a thorax collar. The you can attach a nice thin sterling chain to the clasp and a safety pin or other ornamental sterling pin for the anchor. Just a thought. I guess it would depend on the size of the "c" clasp. It may be a little "safer" than just a thin thread. I hope I haven't angered the mantis goddess with this idea. People have been wearing bugs as jewelry for years. Some even are encrusted with rhinestones or even precious gems. This is not a new concept and beetles are usually used.

Jewel encrusted mantises, why didn't I think of that. I will make millions selling them to mantis peeps on this site.

I've always been pretty skeptical of that idea. It just seems like the mantis would hate it, or that it's just a little mean. Anyway, I know I wouldn't do it to any of my mantids.

What if you were to use one of those "C" ring type closures for jewelry. A nice sterling clasp opened and put around thorax then close. It will be not too tight, kinda like a thorax collar. The you can attach a nice thin sterling chain to the clasp and a safety pin or other ornamental sterling pin for the anchor. Just a thought. I guess it would depend on the size of the "c" clasp. It may be a little "safer" than just a thin thread. I hope I haven't angered the mantis goddess with this idea. People have been wearing bugs as jewelry for years. Some even are encrusted with rhinestones or even precious gems. This is not a new concept and beetles are usually used.
Lucky for you, the Great Mantis Goddess (BbHN and note the caps) is in a humorous mood today, but burning an appropriate "just joking" candle (one of the puce ones) in front of her shrine won't do any harm. Better safe than sorry, I say.