Libata ooth hatch

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaneckc

Reaction score
So my big stagmo laid a fertile ooth before she died and it just hatched. There's at least 30 of these little guys and I have no idea how I'm going too feed them all. Any suggestions? Also, how cannibalistic are the limbata species? Is it recommended to keep them together?

Yeah, get some fruit flies for the nymphs. Otherwise they will die out one by one in next dew days.

or you can keep them together until you get food for them... that way the weak ones wil be devoured by the strong ones. and you wont lose so many... unfortunately i had to do the same not that long ago

Last edited by a moderator:
The local petstore can come in handy when you're in a pinch. My local Petsmart sells D. hydei, while Petco sells D. melanogaster. I've been using the latter for my little nymphs because the flies are smaller and repopulate easily.

So I went to the pet store this morning and picked up a culture of flightless drosophila flies for them. I put a few flies in each of their small habitats and most of them went straight to feasting!

Their habitats are 3x3 tupperware containers from the dollar store with a scrub sponge hot glued to the lid. The tupperwares came in 4-packs and the sponges came in 6-packs, so all together the whole setup was less than $25 including hot glue.

Congratulations! Looks like a nice setup for rearing your new mantids.

Just one ooth worth of limbata nymphs takes up so much space. I don't know what I'm going to do when my three ooths hatch. If they're all fertile that is.

Very nice! :) I usually just stick my babies in a cup with a couple of dry blades of grass and mesh over the top. :p Yours are lucky!

Latest posts