lizards

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robo mantis

Reaction score
i am going some time in the next week to go buy a lizard do you guys have tips and what to get for it like heat pads ext.

If you are going to purchase a retpile, you need to RESEARCH yes, RESEARCH into them BEFORE you buy them. I know thats such a horrible word, but really, unless you know something about what your keeping, then don't get it.

There is a lot moe to know that just what heat pad to use.

Cheers,

Ian

Yes you deffinatly need to research seeing as most lizards are diurnal and need repti bulbs rather than nocturnal lizards like leopard geckos which you can use heatmats to heat them

i got a lizard it is cool it changes colors like brown and green does the surroundings make them change color?i fed it a cricket yesterday and 2 crickets today is that a good amount it is about 4 inches long and his tail is very long like dubble his body length

Do you even know what type of lizard you have? I know what it is from your description, but im curious about how much you know about the animal you just purchased.

Thanks,

Andrew

Okay....well that sounds convincing...

Do you have any photos? Kinda sounds like a cham with the whole green brown thing, but if it is, then I feel rather sorry for it. If you know nothing about reptiles, and cham is certainly not the reptile for you.

Cheers,

Ian

yes that is it anole rick got it. I basically know how to care for them.I got this moss stuff and put it at the bottom and i have water for him to i don't think i am doing anything wrong (i got all the supplies from the petshop i got him from).

Reptiles are not just your normal pet Goldfish. What temps are you keeping your Anole at? Remember these lizards get very stressful easily and this can cause death.

I have him at 80 degrees and he is not stressed out. I know the basics of taking care of them the people at the pet shot told me how to take care of it. Well at least i didn't get exotic ones they said this one is the best to get if you didn't want the big exotic kinds.

Most of the time people in the pet store have absolutely no idea of how to care for any animal they may sale. Read a few caresheets online and you should be fine. Just remember that all reptiles have specific care requirements.

You took the words out of my mouth Rick ;) Have had so many probs with pet shops...in my eyes, they are a joke. I mean, lets face it, who would pay £25 for an "African" mantis "L4", and then take it home, realise it is a sub adult Asian!

You see my point...

It is probably a green anole as that is the only species that is native anywhere near your location. Also green anoles are commonly sold as the "easy" first lizard. The fact that they are so small and can change color is usually very attractive to people wo would usually not take a second look at any reptile. Anole do not change color to match their surroundings. They change color based on mood and temp. The warmer it is the lighter the color. Green anoles need temps around 80 degrees though during the winter months this should drop to around 60 to 70. They can take temperature drops down to 40 degrees for short periods. Don't handle it much as this stresses it, anoles are a leave it and watch pet much like most mantids. Good luck with the anole.

Latest posts