Local exotics store.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lancaster1313

Likebugs (site changed my name😐)
Reaction score
I went to my local exotics store to get a fruit fly culture for my newly hatched chinese mantids. One of the guys there said that he would want some of the nymphs. He didn't offer anything though. My questions are: Does anyone have any advice on whether I could try to trade some for feeders or sell them? What instar should I bring them, if I do work something out? They don't carry any mantids that I have seen and I don't want them to be feeders. What would be a fair price or trade? Is this a good idea at all? I welcome any advice, or comments from anyone who has experience with that sort of thing. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would tell them that I don't mind trading, but not for them to be feeders. Then see what they say. The second instar is a safe start, before that, they die easily, and still afterwards.

the guys at my local store told me they'd buy some ghosts off me when they hatch =), cash money.

Try that.

Rare (and even common) insects are often snatched up by reptile shops since insects are even more exotic than lizards. They get bought by the customers quickly so don't be afraid to talk to the manager or owner about what you've got going on with your extra nymphs, quite often they will be interested to work something out.