Look What I Found :)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to apologize for my mix up on species. My last day off from work was Christmas day, and next day off will be the 31st, so 14 hour days have begun to affect mental sharpness. So throw out the Miomantis Binotata comments. I have worked with Miomantis caffra and they were much more of a verdi, or true green color in captivity. But could see how our desert envvironment could make them lighter in color.

I have no experience with that species...but I really hope this is just one big misidentification.
??? Still Have No Clue On a 100% For Sure ID ???

~~~~~~~~~~~<*>~~~~~~~~~~~

Have the ooth set up the way it was / Attached to the moss

In a plastic container with some moist soil on bottom to help keep the humidity up

Not cooling or heating it

Just leaving it on a window sill

We've been in the 80s +

***SoCal***

So who knows maybe they'll be hatching soon

PEACE...

UN OOTH 2-13-15.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Temps 80+ how sweet... today here it is -7.. with the wind chill -20...this is Michigan.. not Alaska or the Antarctic... Really, really bad cold snap here... kind of praying for 30's... Really scared for anything outside the next couple days...

Looking forward to your hatch... Keep us updated!

Temps 80+ how sweet... today here it is -7.. with the wind chill -20...this is Michigan.. not Alaska or the Antarctic... Really, really bad cold snap here... kind of praying for 30's... Really scared for anything outside the next couple days...

Looking forward to your hatch... Keep us updated!
-7 I don't even know what that is / LOL

My parents live about an hour & a half from me in the high desert

&

They'll get below freezing every now & again at night

But coastal SoCal

We voted against Winter

So now we just skip it altogether & have 3 4 month long seasons instead of 4 3 month long ones

LOL

I know I like to talk cr@p on the East coast

But I honestly do feel for you guys

'Cause I Know It's Gotta Suck

Can't even imagine temps that cold let alone what it must be like to have to deal with / live in them

***SoCal & Global Warming***

Will keep the post up dated & will post pics of the nymphs when / if it hatches

Hopefully I'll get lucky & get a positive ID by then

Stay Warm

ww.JPG

Blah..blah...blah...

Just kidding.. thanks for they sympathy...I really do love Michigan... Just wish I had enough money to spend the winters in warmth... maybe someday..

But for now we just have to make the best of it...

~IT'S STARTING TO HATCH~
I see at least 4 small nymphs cruising around in the container

Will post some nymph pics a little later on

&

Will keep thingz updated

Still Looking For Help On a Positive ID

PEACE...

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to finding out what exactly you have there... and seeing the pics also

There are new species introduced every day by agriculture and importation. Even if this is a new introduction, it's not a species that is common (possibly never seen) in the hobby.

Hey

Well it was a Good hatch

Got a lot of nymphs

No exact count yet but a lot

Will probably wait till next weekend to start separating them

&

Already know I have more than I'll be keeping to work with

So if any one's interested in some PM me

I'll have some available for sale or trade I about a week or so

Still no 100% for sure ID

Even thought it would be an odd find in this area

I'm kind of going with the Miomantis Caffra ID

???

Attached a few M. Caffra pics from Wiki / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miomantis_caffra#Ootheca

The ooth shape / look seems to match

???

MIOMANTIS_CAFFRA_LAYING_EGG_CASE.JPG

446px-Egg_case_in_lichen-encrusted_crack.jpg

OMG... so cute.. Look at them in there...I love it when they all seem to be facing the same direction... LOL

Latest posts