Looking for first mantid

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinesFamily

Reaction score
Hello, I am Chuck, and I am looking to get my first pet mantids. I would like one or two larger species, and perhaps a few smaller ones. I am not looking to breed, just keep a few as pets and let them explore my mantis garden I am building. Let me know any recommendations you might have!  Thank you all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, @WinesFamily

Hierodula sp. are nice and large, and easy to keep. Giant asian. I have an adult Hierodula venosa female. Lovely.

Another large mantis is Rhombodera sp. Giant shield. I have two Rhombodera megaera nymphs.

Classic smaller sp. are ghost mantis Phyllocrania paradoxa. Very cute. A bit skittish.

Spiny flower mantis are smaller but very beautiful. Pseudocreobotra wahlbergi. 

These are all very common in the hobby.

Have fun. ✌😁

I am not looking to breed, just keep a few as pets and let them explore my mantis garden I am building.
Welcome!

I suggest choosing a native species as your first mantis. One of the benefits of choosing a native species is that you will have the option to release them in the spring if you discover the hobby isn't for you... as is the case for many people. Carolina (Stagmomantis carolina), European (Mantis religiosa) and Chinese (Tenodera sinensis) are great starter mantids. They're inexpensive, hardy, and can be released if necessary if you live in the US. If you begin with an exotic species, you'll only have the option to find them another home or euthanize the specimens. If your mantis garden isn't contained and escape proof, you'll have no choice but to choose a native species. 

If your garden is contained, I highly recommend the Hierodula or Sphodromantis sp. They are easy to come by and easy to care for... not to mention beautiful. They can also get quite large, which appeals to many first time owners. 

Good luck! I would love to have a mantis garden! Hope you share photos of your garden and new mantids with us. ☺️

Welcome! 

Oooh, a mantis garden?! I wanna see 😁

Loads of solid advice so far 👍

Another thing to consider is whether you are housing the Mantids in the garden full time, or is the garden just a place to let them wander occasionally. If they are going to be living in this area full time, you will want to go for a native species or at least one that can live in the environmental conditions that your garden provides. If this garden is outdoors, go native species only

Will you be looking to keep multiple specimens together in the garden? If so, I would vote for Ghosts (Phyllocrania Paradoxa). Communal, easy to care and fun. Smaller, but super awesome (sometimes good things come in small packages) 😊

Welcome to the forum! If you are looking for easy mantids, go with ghosts! They are SUPER friendly, look awesome, and are really easy to care for. G. Asians, G. Africans, Chinese, Carolinas, and Europeans are great too, but not as exotic-looking.

- MantisGirl13

welcome :)

Easy starter mantids I would advise Hierodulas   sp.They are big. if you like to start with smaller ones, you can start with ghosts or creobrother gemmatus.

Hello everyone,

To be clear, my 'mantis garden' is just an indoor vivarium with 5 or 6 plant species. 

Also, thank you for all the advice! I have two Giant African mantids that just arrived today (L3-4) - though one seems a bit stressed and is hanging out on the bottom of his cup - and one ghost (L2) who is doing great. I will keep you all posted! I love them so far, though I haven't handled them at all after shipping - I want them to get settled first. I'm using both hydei and melongaster for now. Advice welcome.

Will post tomorrow if anyone is interested!

Latest posts