loong time no mantis talk!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opivy

Reaction score
Well, I have had my ghost adults for a while, and ooths. The Adults died, and I kept the eggs around waiting for a hatch which never happened - until one of the ooths I never expected exploded out!

I'm very excited and it's been about five days.

Been giving them about 2 fruit flies each every day so far - and only today have I gotten around to getting a paper towel on the bottom and misting. (Seems so hard with all the little buggers running around. Luckily I got a whole in the side of the cup)

Just wondering if anyone has any advice? I've had about 5 die so far (just dead on the bottom of the cup) but I'm guessing that's natural.

I'm also worried about how cold it is - I live in So.Cal - so I can't complain, but this has to be the worst time for the little guys. I literally have to wear a sweater! (and a coat occaisonally)

Should I Do anything about the cold? I kept them behind my computer one night, but I also worry about it getting too warm.

Anyways, after over a year of trying, I finally have some babies to take care of -

Lots of similar posts on the subject - you can start with this one:

http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=18276&st=0&p=134942&hl=+ghost%20+temp%20+humidity&fromsearch=1entry134942

Make sure your temp and humidity is high enough for starters (I'm in SO Cal, too - and it's not even close to warm enough even at room temp). If you've got a lamp or desk light around, I'd start there. I picked up a clip on at Terget for $5.

Search the forum for the exact temps and humidties and wait for all the REAL experts to chime in!

5 dollars? Score... Do you use any specific bulb?

It's been a couple of days, and I'm feeding regularly - and only had one more death... It's pretty damn cold - but I still wonder if it's too cold for these guys. They're holding up -

My main concern is getting them too warm, I really would appreciate more input as it doesn't seem like it's too cold. (only 6 deaths so far and no molts)

there's going to be no way for me to get exact temps/humidity levels - I'm a musician, enough said =0. I was about to take a break from this hobby but having a hatch - i really just want to keep my guys alive on an extremely tight budget.

Also I didn't ask before, but should I have something for these guys to climb on? Right now they are in a bare deli cup. I see a lot of people who use some sort of straw looking fiber at the bottom - is that necessary?

I use the bottom stuff (bedding/litter) for cosmetic reasons, to hold the humidity better, and to keep the droppings as far away from the drop-er as possible. I think a lot of people don't bother. You could always use scraps of paper, paper bags, wax paper, etc.

If you're ballparking the temps, I guess if you can't keep your hand under it, it's too hot (anyone else).

Things to climb on sounds, nice, huh...? If you're a musician, maybe you can pull that into it...? A coil of broken guitar strings? Busted Drum sticks? Maybe just house them in an old snare drum with a screen over it? Harmonica tower...? Jam some pics into the side of the cup like steps...? Something fun...!

I can't help notice your sarcasm...

Mainly I was asking if things to climb on were necessary.

And I do believe that the little guys would perish under temps that were far less then painful to my hand if they were exposed to it for an extended period of time.

Hmmmm. I've got my cages now about 4-6" above a series of 60 watt bulbs. If the temp is too warm, they can hang on a lower perch (and some occassionally do). It's not comfortable for me to leave my hand there for very long, but they seem fine. I'd say most hang around the low 80's. There are hot spots that get almost 90. They tend to lay ooths is the warmest spots. Besides my ghosts, I've never seen a cleverly hidden ooth - especially the gongy ooths. They look like they might glow in the dark!

Also, I don't have the stats you pros have, but some of these desert species thrive in 110 degrees and more. I image they must have mechanisms to deal with my light bulbs, right...?

Oh, and no sarcasm meant. I seriously think that would be cool. I used to have season themed cages (evergreen with ornaments for winter, fall foliage and a foam pumpkin, lush orchids and a water fall thingee for spring, and a summer zen garden). I have a bunch of staff that are musicians and really creative, so maybe I'll give them a budget and make it an art show! Do we do contests on this forum...? Best holiday themed enclosure, maybe? Anyone...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts