lost mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beckyl92

Reaction score
i was taking pictures of my new adult boxer that i got this morning and i then took her in my room so she can have a wonder.. now she is literally gone and i can't find her anywhere! shes been missing like 3 hours :( the bad thing is shes mated and if i don't find her she'll be laying ooths in my room!

anyone have any tips on finding mantids or know where theyd go? would they go in small gap?

Last edited by a moderator:
Look in the room near along the walls near where they meet the ceiling - they hang out on top of closet door frames, picture frames, on top of lights -- basically the highest perches available is where they will be.

Last week we lost then found our creobroter gemmatus this way once i remembered and started looking high in the room :)

I had a similar problem this past summer with a female wahlbergii. Take your time and search the room in sections. I found mine laying her first ooth under a dresser.

Also look near any light source. Windows, light fixtures etc... I have found a lot of lost mantids on my curtains, peering outside.

Also look near any light source. Windows, light fixtures etc... I have found a lot of lost mantids on my curtains, peering outside.
Windows are good. I find that taking the room inch by inch is best. Start in one corner and look over every inch. Slowly make your way around the room in a systematic fashion looking everywhere until you get back to the starting point.

Windows are good. I find that taking the room inch by inch is best. Start in one corner and look over every inch. Slowly make your way around the room in a systematic fashion looking everywhere until you get back to the starting point.
Rick had given me advice this summer and it helped a lot.

i had the same problem, a male S. limbata found his way behind my computer monitor after mating and then blended in to my wood desk lol, they know how to blend thats for damn sure lol. Mantises are crazy for having that ability! ive lost and found like 5-6 mantises lol

This happens with Olga all the time :p I don't know why she leaves them unattended because she can never find them afterwards. I have to drive halfway across Sydney to help her & I can usually spot them within the first minute upon entering her room :lol: Good fun! But yes, they're usually found near the top of the windows.

This happens with Olga all the time :p I don't know why she leaves them unattended because she can never find them afterwards. I have to drive halfway across Sydney to help her & I can usually spot them within the first minute upon entering her room :lol: Good fun! But yes, they're usually found near the top of the windows.
So you wrote this knowing that she was in the middle of an exam. Don't you think that she might read it later? :D I was talking with her one day when an ooth hatched on her computer desk. That was an interesting BRB!

BTW, good luck on yr exams, mate!

I had a male Chinese Mantis that loved to hop and fly away... and one time, he did... and I didn't see where he landed. 11 hours later, I found him in this dark corner behind my large set of shelves, covered in cob webs. Poor thing practically needed a bath!

Latest posts