Mantid Feeding Issue

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantidDan

Reaction score
My Chinese Mantid keeps on missing when he tries to catch his food, One time he even backed away from a very small grasshopper i was trying to feed it. The last time he ate was a few days ago,I notice that he just kinda hangs upside down on a branch most of the day unless i handle him.What is the problem?

What tool do you use to offer the cricket?"

I have been using a fine entomology mounting pin size 0 or 00 with head pin removed inserted at the end of 12" long 1/4" wood dowell.

I just insert the pin in the cloaca up to the head of the cricket, and just hold it at a reachable distance, not to close because it will see it as a threat. Once the mantid holds the offering, just twist and pull off slowly, or use the aid of another 12" long 1/4" dowell as a stoper; such as a fork and knife action.

I use the same tool to feed other arthropods and the results are pretty good.

What tool do you use to offer the cricket?"

I have been using a fine entomology mounting pin size 0 or 00 with head pin removed inserted at the end of 12" long 1/4" wood dowell.

I just insert the pin in the cloaca up to the head of the cricket, and just hold it at a reachable distance, not to close because it will see it as a threat. Once the mantid holds the offering, just twist and pull off slowly, or use the aid of another 12" long 1/4" dowell as a stoper; such as a fork and knife action.

I use the same tool to feed other arthropods and the results are pretty good.
Hahahaha!, I do not think he used any tool or anything like that at least! It is a lot easier to just hold the food in your hands. MantidDan if you have not tried to hand feed the mantis then try and he does not eat it is because you are not doing it well or the mantis is going to molt soon or the mantis is sick from something, like a dirty crickets :mad: !

Well i tried hand feeding and he didn't take from my hand, although he may have not seen the bug move enough. But why does he keep missing every time he attempts to eat, the food is not to big?

Last edited by a moderator:
MantidDan, it might just be as sueb4653 said "molt time" if still a nymph. How many days have been since its last meal, exactly!

You said "he", males are not as voratious as females; specially adult males.

two days i think.
Don't worry, if is a male feed him every three days, and probably it will live longer. Just be cautious in keeping the proper humidity and temperature. Remember that adult males dont live as long as females.

Well i tried hand feeding and he didn't take from my hand, although he may have not seen the bug move enough. But why does he keep missing every time he attempts to eat, the food is not to big?
Before molting my mantids did not do that, they just had no interest. I guess he ate something like a sick cricket from a pet store or maybe be stress from you. If bees can smell fear why can not mantids smell stress LOL! Really, being stressed out might make something that makes the mantids do this.

He is most likely batting the food away because he is about to molt. And mantids do spend much of their time hanging upside down. Nothing unusual about that. Wait a bit and see if he molts.

Before molting my mantids did not do that, they just had no interest. I guess he ate something like a sick cricket from a pet store or maybe be stress from you. If bees can smell fear why can not mantids smell stress LOL! Really, being stressed out might make something that makes the mantids do this.
Why would he be stressed from me?
Don't worry, if is a male feed him every three days, and probably it will live longer. Just be cautious in keeping the proper humidity and temperature. Remember that adult males dont live as long as females.
He might be female i counted segments from the top.

Because you are maybe around him and moving around a lot? I meant you being stressed out.
Not the likely reason for the behavior.

Has this mantis molted. It doesn't sound like he is missing, but instead just batting the food away.