Mantids from Malta

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anti

Reaction score
I know there are some experts on this forum, so I'm posting some pictures of Mantids from Malta to check or confirm what they actually are.

To date Maltese naturalists state that in Malta there are 3 official mantids living in Malta - Mantis religiosa, Rivetina baetica and an Ameles species (some say it's Ameles spallanzania). Some even say there's a fourth species but I don't know what that is. Here are some pictures I've took during the last 3 years.

This seems an Ameles sp. nymph, but is it spallanzania?

tinymantis.jpg

Is this a Mantis religiosa or something else?

lost.jpg

This is an Ameles sp. Is it spallanzania?

IMG_4337.jpg

Is this a baetica?

IMG_4222.jpg

This is surely a Mantis religiosa...

IMG_2029.jpg

Ameles spallanzania?

IMG_1078.jpg

Sorry for some of the pictures' bad quality...

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Anti: Virtually no one here has ever seen these species, let alone be able to identify them from pix! A member who used to pronounce on such things is no longer active on the forum. I just checked on The University of Malta, thoughh, and it looks as though someone in the biology department should be able to help you. Normally, it would be necessary to examine the actual insect, but you have so few species that a pic. may be enough. And how about those Maltese naturalists that you mentioned? Have you tried contacting some of them or joining an amateur entomological society if there is one? Let us know how you make out!

I'm no help, but boy did that first picture make me chuckle. The head looks so big on that little un in comparison to its body. :lol:

Latest posts