mantids kept out of enclosures?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opivy

Reaction score
I've read a thread where the OP kept a number of mantises on the ceiling in his house - and another less reliable source about keeping mantises on a house plant. I'm curious how long they can live under such conditions, and if they will catch enough food.

To the chase of it - I hate finding spiders in my room. I absolutely loathe them, and take a joy in catching them and watching my larger mantis eat them.

Would keeping a few mantises in my room reduce the spider population? Most I'm sure are intruders from window screens that are improperly sealed, and there aren't that many. But I would love to get it as low as possible.

I dont see a problem with it, they should do just fine as long as u r careful where u walk and open doors, sometimes they hang around on the door hinges, but other than that, u can always give them extra food with the long forceps, which if I have someone out is how I feed them.

we have one that hangs out in our kitchen window behind the sink, we have plants up there too. he pretty much stays in that general area but now that he's an adult he goes between the living room and the kitchen, i think looking for a mate. We mist him when he we see him and then collect him up in a 32 oz. deli container and feed him in there just to make sure he's getting enough food and then let him go in the window again. we really enjoy looking for him plus when he was smaller he helped keep the excaped feeder bugs under control, i'm sure it would work for your spiders too.

A bunch of Thesprotia nymphs must have hatched from ooths that were concealed in the leafy twigs I threw away in my garden. Four months later I started finding adult pairs in the same spot...

Latest posts