Mantis digesting? Or no?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prayingmantisqueen

Reaction score
So my little carolina male ate a whole bunch last monday (sept.10) and his abdomen hasn't slimed down hardly at all since (it been a week and I havent fed him except that monday because he was so fat)... Any ideas whats going on? He hold real still most the time and now he's in a vertical position (molt?) and I'm worried if he molts with that fat abdomen he will get stuck?

Is he fine or not? Please give me some ideas!

It is possible he is about to molt. Mantises normally don't over eat. Usually when mantises get real fat and haven't molted in a while it means they are getting ready to molt. They will refuse food even for several days as they get ready to molt.

He should be fine as long as he is showing no signs of lethargy or throwing up (which means he could have an infection or illness). But if he seems healthy and normal then he should be just fine.

His abdomen should not get stuck if he molts. Hope this helps! Good luck! ?

Do you find mantis poops close under him? I have paper towels in my mantis homes (then i can see when it is cleaning time and if they pooping)

Did he molt? What instar is he? Is it Itsy that we are talking about? He is so cute!

- MantisGirl13

No molt yet... It is Itsy. His abdomen looks a little lumpy? to me sometimes... But the camera doesn't capture it. He might be L5-L6 idk...wild caught. He did eat 3-4 ff last night

Last edited by a moderator:
Short Update:

Came home yesterday evening and Itsy was really skinny (but was still fat earlier that morning!?!?) so I gave him some honey water which he drank greedily (confused..) even though I've been misting his cage daily. Offered food, not interested. I will try to give him more honey water tonight when I get home.

I have given him more. Drank greedily again for just a minute and then was done. Put him in house and misted again. Noticed he has a small poop on his rear... I hope that doesn't cause any problems. Idk if you can see it in the pictures. I wont be bothering it for fear of possible prolapse later.

15373949151292132417683.jpg

He is loosing strength and not taking honey water any more. Fell off stick earlier. I am going to darken his area again and let him be for a while. I did try to feed him this morning.

0920181506.jpg

He looks ok to me in the picture, but it is not a good sign if he is falling :(  Keep us updated! How is he now?

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts