Mantis eyes both completely black?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d270

Reaction score
Hi,

I hope this is normal but my oldest mantis...L4-5 maybe...both eyes have turned completely black....no "pupils"...all black.

Is that normal? The mantis is in my garage with flourescent lights and some ambient natural light when the door is open of course.

Moisture seems ok, with some tiny droplets still in his cage.

Their eyes go darker at night time, so it depends if it was dark or not when you noticed this. Are you sure it is still alive? Because a dead mantis also has black eyes.

It is probably because of the plastic of your enclosure.It wears the eyes of the mantis when she is rubbing its head against.

Hi,

Are the eyes really black or is is a dark purple? Permanent black spots on the eyes usually appear if the mantis rubs its head on the enclosure because it sees something outside. Do you have any feeding insects or other mantids in a direct line of sight?

Maybe is is easier to help you if you post a photo.

Cheers,

Tristan

They spend a lot of time in darkness in the garage. Coud this be it ?

They seem healthy...well the ones still living...sigh.

probably in the dark for 18 hours, light in six.....Chinese mantids.

You should definitely put a lamp in there and run something like a 12/12 day/night rhythm. That fits for most mantids. How is your temperature and humidity inside the enclosure during day and night? I don’t know where you live, but ambient temperature might be too low for your mantis.

Cheers,

Tristan

Latest posts