Mantis licking own butt/genitals

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was she imported from Japan, by any chance? As you know, Chinese mantises are greatly revered in Japan, where they are seen as direct messengers from the Great Mantis Goddess (Blessed be Her Name). If you did comparative literature in school, you probably read the famous fifteenth-century haiku by Yukio Hatoyama:

Snow on Mount Fuji

Poo on her butt, tall green man

Tis stoops -- licks it clean.

Beautiful, and even more moving in the original Hebrew.

Seen it many times. I usually see it with Stagmomantis sp.

mantids215.jpg

mantids216.jpg

A Heirodula doing it:

mantids039.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Was she imported from Japan, by any chance? As you know, Chinese mantises are greatly revered in Japan, where they are seen as direct messengers from the Great Mantis Goddess (Blessed be Her Name). If you did comparative literature in school, you probably read the famous fifteenth-century haiku by Yukio Hatoyama:

Snow on Mount Fuji

Poo on her butt, tall green man

Tis stoops -- licks it clean.

Beautiful, and even more moving in the original Hebrew.
ahahahaha

Kit did this again, but it was rather awkward, as it was while she was on my hand. I was like, "Hey, do that... on your own time plzkthx" and tickled her arms with a feather. She gave me the funniest look I have ever seen in a mantis, like, tilted her head while looking up at me, and was like, "lolwut" and I was like "lolwut" and my mom was "lolwut" and then my entire room turned into a lolwut. lolwut?

On a more serious note, Kit is developing brown spots on her green wings. What exactly does this mean and is it normal?

Latest posts