Mantis names!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zalonik

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Do you guys ever name your mantids? Or do you simply call them by their scientific names? I wanna hear some creative or goofy names. ^_^

Currently, I have a single ghost female named Umbra. I like naming them because I almost feel like they have their own personalities, even just being little insects. Umbra is a spunky thing, always swaying and she is very aggressive when it comes to chasing down and getting her food. :p My last Chinese male was named Chris, hehehe.

Something tells me you science-y guys stick to the species name, though. ;)

Ha ha! I bet you're taking a BA and not a BS! Actually, a lot of experienced members here name their mantids, and we have one young man whom I swear had more names than he had mantids. Umbra is a very appropriate name for a ghost, or a vampire for that matter, and certainly beats Casper! But enough chat. I received 15 Texas unicorns today and have been settling them in and teaching them English, I've also named them all, of course,.P. chlorophaea 1-15, so off i go to see if they answer to their new names!

Well, I name my mantids. Of course, I only have 4 right now. I do it mainly to keep track of which one is which, who is going to molt when and who is eating and who is not. So when my boyfriend is taking care of them when I am not home I can tell him: Ida molted yesterday and needs to eat, Marlo hasn't been eating and Kid is getting ready to molt... and he knows exactly what I mean. Hehe... So I have 3 orchids named Ida, Kid and Marlo and a Papa Spurca named Roz. I have only ever owned rescued dogs so I have never gotten to name any of my pets. I think it is fun. This is my way of getting it all out of my system.

I name my favorites!

Monkey, Amazon, Beautiful, Mr. Blend, Fly Swatter, Greenie, Mr. Giggles, Flaps, and Ms. Prissy

Just to name a few =)

Hey now I'm sciency and I have named some before!

My first and longest lived Chinese mantid was named Storm (5/30/95-2/17/96 RIP). The following year I had a male named Blizzard, then Slash was my first exotic, a Hierodula grandis.

You know I think Phil is trying to copy my style: I've got ones named B. mendica M1, B. mendica M2, D. desiccata F1, etc. etc. :p

I name all my mantises. The only rule I have for myself is the nymphs have to make it through one shedding first before they get their individual name. Otherwise they are all known lovingly as my little specks. I figure if they are healthy enough to survive their first shedding than they probably have decent odds of making it to adulthood. My current two girls are Tinkerbell and Merlin. I also love to celebrate my mantises birthday whenever I get lucky enough to have one that makes it through a full year of life. :wub:

The only one I've wanted to name so far is my ghost: at first I thought of Alfalfa (because of the Our Gang character) but he's a tough guy with his food so I'm leaning towards calling him Spike. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I only seem to name the sickly ones, which is odd, since they are the ones I'd least like to get attached to... Hmmm. So, Lefty (1 claw), Turbo (no wings), Scooter (bad legs), that sort of thing.

I only seem to name the sickly ones, which is odd, since they are the ones I'd least like to get attached to... Hmmm. So, Lefty (1 claw), Turbo (no wings), Scooter (bad legs), that sort of thing.
I have named my unfortunate mantids after their particular handicaps, but most of my bugs are named after food: Greenbean, Chocolatemilk, Hershey's special dark, and Peachy. I also recycle names. I have had 4 mantids named Greenbean, so far. :)

I have 3 Ghost mantises....one of the I think is a female is abit bossy....unofficially she's called "She"

I have named the most prominent ones that I can tell apart from others, since I keep many together. The most bossiest female was an adult Budwing, so I called her Bossy and have just sent her away to a pet home. The three original adult Violin females I had were Rosy (she had the pinkish colors under her hood), then was Three Legs (for that reason and she did not make it very long) and the best was Snow Top (she blew up in the male after being mated). I still have a Rosy, but a different one.

Last edited by a moderator:
"(she blew up in the male after being mated)"

what does that mean? I'm only getting naughty stuff in my head :lol:

Hmmm what does that mean exactly,"(she blew up in the male after being mated)"? Because I'm getting the same thoughts as Malti :/ .

I'm confused.
blink.gif
How did the female get into the male to "blow up"? I could see the male blowing up in her, but her in him? I just don't get it.
laugh.gif

I'm a newb and enjoying reading what you folks are naming your critters. I'm getting a devil's flower and trying to decide on a name. I spend way too much time on these kinds of things.. but it's fun. I keep finding myself coming back to alien-related names because they look like little aliens to me (like perhaps a Stargate theme- Freyr, Thor, Hermiod, Loki, etc.) Or I could go in another direction and go with a reference to praying like Grace or even a reference to a killer like Dexter. Hmmmm...

For exotic pets i call them exotic names! I started giving names only 3 years ago and it's been quite fun, lol

For my males i give them weird real people names but since i can't translate them into English i won't post them.

For females i give them weird names of extinct animals. So far i had and have the following females:

Liopleurodon

Cryptoclidia

Anurognathus

Didelphodon

Dunkleosteus

and my favorite: Eustreptospondylus

I dare you to spell that name right :p . It's been a pain in the beginning but i got used to it.

Go Google the words and you'll see they are real names given to extinct animals.

Latest posts