Mating Device

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Termite48

Reaction score
This is a home made contraption that can be used with prudence with some species that might want to remain mounted for quite some time and there would be no ill effects from having them mate with this device in place. It is obvious that it is better not to use it. It is also not so nice to loose males to the females desire of cannibalistic behavior that some of us have experienced in the past. The height can be adjusted by trimming the length of the coat hanger uprights. The turkey feather which has been hot glued to the wire is so that there is not a feeling of encroachment onto the females body, nor any harm from her rubbing up against the wire.

IMG_2587 (2).JPG

IMG_2585 (2).JPG

All the females I have would flip you the claw and walk out from under that.

I agree with some sort of device that just holds the front legs closed. Be sure to choose something that the mantis cannot chew through.

Wait he was serious about the cuffs for the claws? I have to admit I find the thought of restraining the female rather disturbing.

Wait he was serious about the cuffs for the claws? I have to admit I find the thought of restraining the female rather disturbing.
Agree. I'm overall against the idea. I think it will stress the female which could impact the mating.

Yep, I can't see the female taking it well. If she is actually hooked to something there is even a risk she might panick injure/rip a limb off trying to get free. I also can't see it making for a good sex life. I think a lot of people tend to view the mating as a one sided affair, but it isn't. The female is an active particapent, from calling in the boys, then twisting her abdoman and opening up so the boy can get his manly mantis self in.

I don't like the notion of loosing a boy in the process either, but there are already ways that can dramatically reduce the odds of it happening, and if it does happen, it is part of their nature.

All I know is that there are a lot of killed males. It takes two to make it happen. It would be nice if a well fed, and healthy female meant a successful mating. This is not true in all cases. This idea of mine is just an idea, and it is not something prefer to use. I do not want to loose anymore males, especially borrowed ones. If you do not like the idea, just give it a rest.

Then perhaps those of you that come up with techniques that save your males will share these ideas with the rest of us as I have tried to do.

Then perhaps those of you that come up with techniques that save your males will share these ideas with the rest of us as I have tried to do.
There are many but I found over the years the chances of losing a male are small if he has a good avenue of escape. This means free range them during mating or put them in to a large enclosure. In my experience most males are eaten while attempting to mount or dismount. Simply standing by while he mounts and remaining until things are settled down is easy to do and you can easily prevent the female from eating the male with nothing more than your hands. Many people will give the female food while the male approaches and during the mating.

Thanks Rick for your kind reply. I am aware of these preferred techniques. My device is to use when perhaps one cannot be there the whole time to supervise and these other techniques are being used.

Your friend,

Rich

I know some have tried the (not sure what it is called, when a dog or cat get a cone collar) to put on the female so she cannot reach behind her, not sure if that works or not. I have some round foam bullets that Fuzzy and I shoot at balloons and those could possibly work too, hummmm.

Latest posts