Metallyticus violaceus hatch

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
They may not look like much now but as they mature they will become metallic and colorful.

Mviolaceushatch_0766-sm.jpg

Mviolaceushatch_0770-sm.jpg

Mviolaceushatch_0769-sm.jpg

Mviolaceushatch_0772-sm.jpg

Mviolaceushatch_0762-sm.jpg

Built more like a roach than a mantis...

MviolaceusL1_0750-sm.jpg

Take note they have 2 spikes at the tip of the tibia...

MviolaceusL1_0749-sm.jpg

MviolaceusL1_0751-sm.jpg

MviolaceusL1_0753-sm.jpg

Look how flat the face is...

MviolaceusL1_0754-sm.jpg

excellent species and fantastic photos

really like these myself but waiting till got bit more experience under my belt :)

They look very strong, probably the largest proportion of leg-size to body-weight out of all the species of mantid that I have seen.

We are very blessed to have you on this forum. Your photos are always beautiful and amazing! Thank you Precarious for sharing your adorable nymphs!

We are very blessed to have you on this forum. Your photos are always beautiful and amazing! Thank you Precarious for sharing your adorable nymphs!
Thank you for the kind words.

can u show us a pic of the ooth they came from??
Nothing to see. It was laid between 2 pieces of paper towel so only slivers of ooth showing on each end. You can see it at the very beginning of the video. I didn't even know which side the nymphs would hatch from. That's why you can see the white plastic end of a straight pin in the video. I mounted the ooth hanging by the paper towel. Once I saw which side they were hatching from I pinned it up so that side was facing down.

Any idea where these species are native to? I live in southern California and I can almost swear that I saw one of these the other day. Like you said, built more like a roach than a mantis, but now that I've seen these I'm second guessing my initial distinction upon seeing it...

Latest posts