miomantis hatch!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samzo

Reaction score
Hey guys I forgot about one of my miomantis paykullii eggcases and I just opened the container it was in and to my suprise was full of nymphs! By the looks of it I think it hatched either this morning of yesterday as there are lots still hatching. Anyway just thought i'd share.

hi,

was that from one of the female from Ian or did you buiy an ooth? Or something else? Just interested, my female has laid 2 ooths now. How long did it take?

Cheers, Cameron.

I got it from one of my supliers as an ooth although my female that I also got from him has made 2 ooths in only 3 weeks. It took 2 weeks to hatch aprox but I don't know how old it was.

Ah,

Mine is laying like crazy, An ooth within 5 days of having it then another 5 days later. If only ooths only took 2 weeks to hatch :D lol.

Cheers, Cameron.

wow lol she must be exhausted! I'm not sure how many they produce but I think it's easily 30+ so far.

They keep laying ooths if fed regularly... they can produce up to like 12 ooths easily. At least one of mine did.

Is it from a mated female or did she build one without mating ? In that case all the nymphs will be females as well...

Eh :? ?

Do the ootheca hatch even if they aren't mated? Didn't know that, But yeah, it is a mated female.

Cheers, Cameron.

Yup

Miomantis ( paykullii for sure ) can reproduce parthenogenetically.

It's wiser to mate them anyway since it'll give you stronger nymphs and "offcourse" male nymphs as well...

None of my non-mated M. paykullii ever produced ooths that hatched (n=6), however some of my mated ones produced 22 ooths all of which hatched! I have also had the ooths hatch in as little as 27 days.

well, I hope my ooths hatch so badly. Got a couple now. Check 'em out!

06e01adb.jpg

mioooths002.jpg

The second is twice as long as the first ootheca. If it all goes well, I'll let you know :wink: .

Cheers, Cameron.

Nice cam, i'd take pictures of mine but to be honest it's not worth the effort of a 3.1 MP lol Myabe santa will give me a 6+ :lol:

Yeah,

If only it was really my camera. It's kinda my mums so I gotta scaff it off of her when I need to take pics. But honestly, I think I use it more than she does :lol: . money put to good use I say :D . Yeah, they're quite odd ooths, normally they just look like a foamy mass but they are hard but these look like they were always solid. they look harder aswell. I dunno, but ya, I think they look awesome!

Cheers, Cameron.

They vary in size big time, I had some that were about 1cm, little triangular things, then a few weeks later she popped me a 5cm. I need to find the pic of them, it looks really wierd side by side, doesnt look like the same species at all.

Cheers,

Ian

Yay!

Yet another ootheca today :D . So far it's been laying 1 every 4-5 days so lets see if it can keep it up :wink: .

Check this out.Below is the lid of the tank with tyhe ootheca it has laid in the last 15 days.

miomantis001.jpg

The new ooth.

miomantis005.jpg

and the mother itself.

miomantis007.jpg

Man, I sure hope they are being kept right by me. I really want these to hatch.

Cheers, Cameron

At last, 4 weeks down the line and one of the ootheca has just hatched! Yay, it was from the ootheca that was like, a cm long or so and hatched out about 25 nymphs. So cheers again Ian! These females are genuinely mated. Thanks again and wish me luck (got another 5 of these to hatch and they are about 4 times as big as this one plus she's been laying every 5 days).

Also 2 ghost ooths to hatch. One of them is four weeks old on saturday, how long do these normally take? Hopefully they are fertile otherwise, I wasted a perfectly good male.

Cheers, Cameron.

miomantishatch001.jpg

miomantishatch003.jpg

Those are some nice pics of the hatch. I had my miomantis ooth from hatch today. If my camera could focus close up I would send some pics.

Thanks Ian! :D

I put some drosophila in with them and some of them started having dinner.

Latest posts