Mixing Roach Species Question.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEV83

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have decided to get into the insect world again and am looking to get some mantids which several threads here mention feeding roaches to them. I saw the Dubias which I know are breed and raised for feeding insects, amphibians, reptiles and even fish which is why I would be obtaining some of these. I also saw Archimandrita tesselata (Peppered Roach) which looks pretty cool. So my question is would these two species be able to co-exist in the same enclosure or would they need there own dwellings?

I am not sure. If you have a large colony of B. dubia the peppereds might not have enough room. I have read that A. tesselata have problems with molting. But I do not know exactly what is the problem when they mis-molt. I would keep them separately or keep a few B. dubia with the A. tesselata. I have not had B. dubia or A. tesselata before. B. dubia might be aggressive and nip at the A. tesselata while they molt. My Blaberus atropos "Florida" often nip and eat their buddies while they molt.. How many B. dubia bins do you plan to keep? :)

I had a dubia colony established and introduced a couple pairs of Madagascar hissers to the mix. They seem to be coexisting quite well. There are lots of hissers now. The only problem is they get too large to feed as adults. I have all sizes of both roaches presently in one bin. I might have to thin the herd. Interested in any hissers?

I had a dubia colony established and introduced a couple pairs of Madagascar hissers to the mix. They seem to be coexisting quite well. There are lots of hissers now. The only problem is they get too large to feed as adults. I have all sizes of both roaches presently in one bin. I might have to thin the herd. Interested in any hissers?
I was thinking of getting these but really liked the peppered ones. I don't got nothing setup for these yet just thinking ahead also I got some baby cichlids which get BIG which would love to snack on these.

I am not sure. If you have a large colony of B. dubia the peppereds might not have enough room. I have read that A. tesselata have problems with molting. But I do not know exactly what is the problem when they mis-molt. I would keep them separately or keep a few B. dubia with the A. tesselata. I have not had B. dubia or A. tesselata before. B. dubia might be aggressive and nip at the A. tesselata while they molt. My Blaberus atropos "Florida" often nip and eat their buddies while they molt.. How many B. dubia bins do you plan to keep? :)
I don't wan't to many roaches so was thinking of just doing a single colony. Right now it's just me doing research though. I need more info on care for these also need more money lol

Latest posts