molt interval

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Findarato

Reaction score
Is it possible a nymph (L6) would not molt for 1 1/2 months? One of mine has last molted 11.1., but she is still eating and plump. Never had such a long time between molts.

Can it be a mantis is so greedy, she forgets to stop eating before molting? Stupid question maybe, just wondering.

I think it is possible, my heterochaetas molted on december and I´m waiting for their last molt <_< , I´m not controlling the temp, and once or twice I fed them once a week.

May be you should check the temperature.

saludos

temp is constantly at 21°Celsius (which is ok for Giant asians), and as I wait for molting (also in the others) daily, I mist them 2-3 times a day. so that should not be the problem. 4 of my 11 mantids are adult since 24.2., the others (only the one is still L6, the others are subadult) make no moves to leave their childhood behind (strange notion this, for insects) ;)

so that means I should be just patient..., thanks for replying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like it is very possible since your girl is still alive and hasn't molted. I've had a mantis eat a nice size cricket only a half hour before shedding with zero problems so some do have different tolerances about how long they feel they need to go between eating and shedding. I don't keep track of when my crew is getting ready to shed. I always figure the mantises will know when it is time so I leave it all up to them and don't stress about it.

Depending on their feeding and hydration, they can easily delay their development on molt much more slowly than "normal". Humidity and temp can affect them too, as well as the species, as well as the molt. Sounds like you're doing everything right and she'll molt when she's ready! (I hate that)

ok, thank you for your replies. I will just wait and see. yesterday she ate a cricket again, but I will tell you when she finally molts. Or whatever happens with her and her siblings.

Latest posts