Molting signs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allthingsterrarium

Reaction score
Heya guys! I was wondering if there are any telltale signs that a mantis is about to molt other than the fact that their appetite slows down? It just so happens that Lee's abdomen was already pretty large and as she's young I figured she would be molting often and was surprised how quickly she did last time in just under two weeks from the previous molt. She's been eating very well so I assume it will happen soon. Today she wasn't very enthusiastic about eating but I did finally get her to take one last large cricket that made her abdomen absolutely huge. Now a few hours later I see the underside of her abdomen is much lighter in color and her eyes have become dark red. Are those molting signs? In case it varies by species she's a Hierodula Membranacea or Giant Asian mantis for those who don't know. 

When mantids are only hours or minutes away from molting, they will enter a certain stance different from the way they usually perch. I'm gonna post a few examples, note how the upper body is more vertically aligned compared to their usual sitting pose. The older nymphs get the longer they will prepare for molts, so yours is likely still days away from a molt. Darkening eyes are a normal occurrence at night for mantids.

tuuqdsN.jpg

Bg0VX3E.jpg

113X0pt.jpg

And if they are very close they starts to wiggle there bodies if the want to take off a tight sweater. That is why I could prevent a mismolt of one of my mantids because she was hanging too low for a good molt.

Also, if they are molting to adult, their wingbuds will get fat and you will be able to see the patterns in them.

- MantisGirl13

And their preparing to molt takes more time because of a lot of changes in their bodies as in no eating. 2 of mine took more than a week to do  their final molts.

Last edited by a moderator:
When mantids are only hours or minutes away from molting, they will enter a certain stance different from the way they usually perch. I'm gonna post a few examples, note how the upper body is more vertically aligned compared to their usual sitting pose. The older nymphs get the longer they will prepare for molts, so yours is likely still days away from a molt. Darkening eyes are a normal occurrence at night for mantids.

Thanks Velve! That's amazing! I can see the difference very clearly and I will be on the lookout for that posture over the next few days. I also had no idea their eyes darken at night and I have to say that's pretty awesome! :)

Latest posts