Moth Questions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curiosity

Reaction score
No, this doesn't belong in the feeding questions area. 

My question is. . . my brother found this cocoon outside and a moth hatched out. That was a week ago, and its wings are still all crumpled and so are the legs - it can't move properly. 

What should I do with it? I can't even figure out how to feed it.

Normally, yeah, a moth would be a food item as far as I'm concerned. But right now, I have no mantises and I don't want the moth to just starve. 

Moths as I know do not eat, and if wings are bad it will probably just die. You could put on a nice bush and maybe it will find a mate before the end, I dont think

they live much longer than a week.

According to kidsbutterfly.com, “With few exceptions, adult butterflies and moths eat only various liquids to maintain their water balance and energy stores. Most adults sip flower nectar, but other imbibe fluids from sap flowers on trees, rotting fruits, bird droppings, or animal dung”.

Thanks for the replies. . . I haven't been online much lately. 

Yeah. . . it died the night after I posted the question and then I never got around to saying so. Sorry. . .

I assumed they ate nectar and tried putting sugary water on a cotton ball. It stuck its proboscis in once. Otherwise, it always seemed to want to get off the blob. Wasn't really aware of the other stuff though. Sorry I didn't mention it sooner.

Latest posts