Moth trap?!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psychobunny

Reaction score
Now that the weather is getting warmer, it's time to construct my very first moth

trap (FREE MANTIS FOOD!!!).

I am going to use a small, but powerful LED flashlight and build some kind of box

to put it in with a hole on top so the moths can get in but are too stupid to find their way

out!!

Does anyone know how to make one?

If you are gonna spend the time:

I suggest a white sheet with a halogen spot light ($10.00 at harbor freight)

then use a 32 oz delicup to scoup them up...

Yeah, I have heard of doing that, and I do have some halogen spot bulbs, but I was

hoping for something that will trap them.

Like maybe a clear plastic container with a light inside and funnel on top.

Think that would work?

That way, all I have to do is stick a lid on the container ;)

Past 2 days ive caught 31 moths :D Big light right outside my back door that pulls them all in :p Needless to say all my mantids are FAAATTT!

Had a little fun and fed a moth close to 3 times the size of my L4 virdid, still snagged it like it was nothing, and of course the idolos dont even give the guys a chance to flap thier wings once before they are chomping down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool topic. Hey do any of you know of any toxic moths in nj to feed off? Moths that I should avoid?

Great idea. I caught a huge moth that was gold and dark brown in my garage yesterday. I would love to have a bunch of those. Gonna start constrcting a moth trap as soon as I get home. I also recently purchased a fishing net for catching the little white butterflies flying around my house the old fashion way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts