Multi-Mantis Enclosure

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like your handiwork!
Thanks! :cowboy:

Keep in mind what ever you use as a coating the mantis must be able to drink mist off it and not be toxic, nice Idea though!
I read that polyurethane is only toxic when it's wet. I'm going to wait a couple days before placing any of my mantids in there.

Great Idea Mike... I'm going to do something similar with plexi glass
Thanks! I was going to do the same with acrylic but just found it too expensive of a project. Please post it when you build it. :)

Does it not stress them out to be that close?
I'm not really sure. I can't imagine it being any different than having a bunch of transparent deli cups sitting side by side on my shelves but it's still a good subject for debate. Anybody know??

I think I've waited enough days for the polyurethane on my new enclosure to dry and for all fumes to be aired out. Tonight I'm going to place about 10 ghosts in one of the chambers since they're all beginning to molt to L3.

mantis_hotel_zps31a53e54.jpg

Just for precaution, I've placed a layer of cardboard on the bottom to avoid water damage. This is where the ghosts are going to go:

ghost_chamber_zpsd92fa16a.jpg

Thanks. They seem to like it so far. My only concern is them having too much space to catch their food.
I dont think thats a problem. Lots of my bugs are in enclosures where food isnt always next to them, but if you leave it with them they'll hunt. Gives them more reason to move around too. My mesopteryx, Popa, and medioconstricta all will hunt for wandering beetles I put in their enclosure.

Thanks. They seem to like it so far. My only concern is them having too much space to catch their food.
I wouldn't worry about it. I moved my group of 7 ghosts up to a 10 gallon (20x12x10) and they aren't having any trouble finding food.

I have 4 Ghost in 22gl net cage I'm having the same problem. Unless the fly fly near them they wont go after it .. after few day I end up with like 10 Dead BB on the ground not touched ..

I dont think thats a problem. Lots of my bugs are in enclosures where food isnt always next to them, but if you leave it with them they'll hunt. Gives them more reason to move around too. My mesopteryx, Popa, and medioconstricta all will hunt for wandering beetles I put in their enclosure.
As for u Deli container hater ! U have your way other have there own choice how they want to keep their Mantis, Not everyone here have the Space to keep all individual mantis in Big Space. I'm Pretty sure Mantis_Mike GF will not allow Mantis all over his House .

IAs for u Deli container hater ! U have your way other have there own choice how they want to keep their Mantis, Not everyone here have the Space to keep all individual mantis in Big Space. I'm Pretty sure Mantis_Mike GF will not allow Mantis all over his House .
Relax lol. You make it sound like wanting better for my mantids is a crime. I offered some advice based on my experience with larger enclosures and hunting for food. No need to get hostile.

LMAO!!!

My mantid collection is slowwwwly increasing again and it's all happening under my gf's nose. Shhhhhh..

I always make sure to run to the mail box before she does. I've been telling her that it's just a bunch of old ooths hatching on me lately. :devil: I'll have problems once containers start massing up next to our beds lol

LMAO!!!

My mantid collection is slowwwwly increasing again and it's all happening under my gf's nose. Shhhhhh..

I always make sure to run to the mail box before she does. I've been telling her that it's just a bunch of old ooths hatching on me lately. :devil: I'll have problems once containers start massing up next to our beds lol
Haha :) GF power ...

LMAO!!!

Yeup.... Girls gotta go. Lol how come I can't find a boy that likes bugs? And all the girls that don't like the bugs, get the boys? Cruel cruel world. Lol

I agree with Tony and Malek. I have five ghosts in quite a large enclosure and they all have keggers for abdomens. I also have 13 multispina in another large enclosure and they eat their food not their brothers. I see them always moving around and looking. I have a ghost that literally jumps from the top if the enclosure to the bottom, snags a fly and scaddaddles back up to hang and eat it. It's a trip.

Yeup.... Girls gotta go. Lol how come I can't find a boy that likes bugs? And all the girls that don't like the bugs, get the boys? Cruel cruel world. Lol

I agree with Tony and Malek. I have five ghosts in quite a large enclosure and they all have keggers for abdomens. I also have 13 multispina in another large enclosure and they eat their food not their brothers. I see them always moving around and looking. I have a ghost that literally jumps from the top if the enclosure to the bottom, snags a fly and scaddaddles back up to hang and eat it. It's a trip.
Cruel world indeed.

Your jumping ghosts reminds me of my creos from a few months back. They used to stalk every fly that I'd throw in their container and eat them like pigs.

Latest posts